7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 4:22 PM by hatstead

How to design an icon?

timd78870136

Hi All, I have scanned a JPEG drawing (public domain) and want to turn it into an icon for my website. Can I use PS5?

• 1. Re: How to design an icon?
          hatstead Adobe Community Professional

timd78870136 wrote:

Hi All, I have scanned a JPEG drawing (public domain) and want to turn it into an icon for my website. Can I use PS5?

The short answer is "yes."

You will probably want to remove the background from the drawing, then go to File>Save for web. In that dialog be sure that "Transparency" and "Constrain Proportions" are ticked. I usually make the long side 800 px or so.

• 2. Re: How to design an icon?
            timd78870136 Level 1

Tx, Hatstead. Mine is a thin-lined drawing (not unlike the Olympc rings) and I just need the lines, not the background. The magic selection brush ctrl-W is fooled by the lines. My plan is to isolate line from background (i.e. your approach) and then thicken and smooth these lines. Does this make sense? Rgds. Tim@Amsterdam

• 3. Re: How to design an icon?

timd78870136 wrote:

Tx, Hatstead. Mine is a thin-lined drawing (not unlike the Olympc rings) and I just need the lines, not the background. The magic selection brush ctrl-W is fooled by the lines. My plan is to isolate line from background (i.e. your approach) and then thicken and smooth these lines. Does this make sense? Rgds. Tim@Amsterdam

Yes, that's the goal.

Is the background a solid color or is it a complex background?

If you are so inclined, post the drawing so that we may offer more targeted guidance.

• 4. Re: How to design an icon?
                timd78870136 Level 1

Black lines on a white background, Hatstead. It is the epitaph of Stevinus, a Flemish scholar (1548 – 1620). Tx, TimIMG selected.jpg

• 5. Re: How to design an icon?

ok.

1. Double click the Background layer to convert it from a locked layer to a regular layer. It will be Layer0
                  2. Activate the Magic wand tool. On the tool's option bar, set tolerance to 16, and untick "Contiguous"
                  3. Left click on a white area, then hit delete on the keyboard
                  4. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the marching ants.
                  5. You should see the drawing surrounded by transparency.
                  6. Go to Edit>save for web. In the dialog select PNG24 for the file type, check "Transparency" and check "Constrain Proportions". For height type in 800 px, leave width field blank.
                  7. Note: PNG supports transparency. If you save it as JPEG, you will have a white background again.
                  • 6. Re: How to design an icon?
                    timd78870136 Level 1

Great help! I did find that edit>save for web, but hidden as "export file>save for web (reference to it being outdated)". It did do the job. Using Photoshop 2015.5 and learned that it required updating too.

• 7. Re: How to design an icon?

Good luck with your web site.