• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy catalog from Lr 5.x to 6.x (how-to/can I)

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I presently have a system with Lr 5.x (whatever the latest/highest release was on 5). I have been using that as my sole Lr processing system for a few years, hence have a fair amount of work invested in processing (mostly) underwater photographs.

I recently purchased a new laptop that I would like to license the Lr 6.x for and copy/move the catalog from my old machine to my new machine. That way, I will have a newer copy of all of my previous processing on the new system.

I have already moved all of the photos, but haven't yet purchased/installed Lr on the new computer.

Is it possible to migrate the catalog info from 5.x to 6.x? If so, are there any special steps to moving the catalog info (because of the difference in versions)?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

More details about moving Lightroom to a new computer are here. However, the basic steps are:

Copy the catalog file to the new computer.

Open Lightroom 6. Use the menu command File->Open Catalog and select the LR 5 catalog file. This will upgrade the catalog to a LR 6 catalog. (There might be a dialog box asking if you want to do this upgrade, I don't remember, but if there is such a dialog box, then yes you want to do this upgrade).

You will have to reconnect the photos in Lightroom if they are in

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More details about moving Lightroom to a new computer are here. However, the basic steps are:

Copy the catalog file to the new computer.

Open Lightroom 6. Use the menu command File->Open Catalog and select the LR 5 catalog file. This will upgrade the catalog to a LR 6 catalog. (There might be a dialog box asking if you want to do this upgrade, I don't remember, but if there is such a dialog box, then yes you want to do this upgrade).

You will have to reconnect the photos in Lightroom if they are in a different folder location on the new computer compared to the old computer. The instructions for doing this are here: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dj_paige,

Thanks very much for your thorough response.

I haven't actually used the procedures yet, but will as soon as I get Lr 6 loaded on the new machine.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines