• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS starts very slow due to temp files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 10 x64 and PS CC (2017 release). I am using an internal D drive as temp drive (set in preferences).

While I am working in a file I can see the temp file is being kept at the D drive, and when I exit PS, the temp is gone. All great.

BUT, when I open PS again, it takes ages for the program to launch, because, it tourns out that the previously empty D drive is misteriously opening the previous generated temp file again. The same file that apparently had disappeared when I exit PS before. What is wrong with it? It began to act this way a week ago. I have unistalled the new PS version, reinstalled it again. The problem disappeared for a few hours, than it came back again. This problem is awful and very time consuming. How can I fix it, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bethanias,

Please refer the link Optimize performance Photoshop CC to optimize Photoshop.

Also, Launch Photoshop without loading the 3'rd party plugins following the steps below:

• Close Photoshop.
  • Hold down the Shift key and launch Photoshop. A dialog appears during launch that reads “Skip loading optional and third-party plug-ins?”

Skip loading dialog box

• Skip loading dialog box.
  • Click Yes to skip loading optional and third-party plug-ins.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Akash, but the problem is still there.

Took some screen shots.

Will attach them here.

It is taking over 5 minutes for PS to start and the proposed resource made no difference at all.

Still waiting for a solution.

Thank again.

Bethania.Screenshot 2016-12-02 11.42.47.pngScreenshot 2016-12-02 11.42.50.pngScreenshot 2016-12-02 11.42.53.pngScreenshot 2016-12-02 11.42.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring your Preferences to default following Solve Adobe Photoshop problems and issues by keeping it up-to-date ​ and let us know if that helps.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry to say it did not work, Akash.

Followed the instructions on the video and wished so much for the trouble be gone, but that was wishful thinking. Any other suggestion? Remeber that I had already tried uninstall/reinstall the program in vain, what makes me think the problem is a deep deeper.

Thank you.

Bethania.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have shown that Photoshop is recreating a TEMP file on the scratch disk when it starts. This sounds normal. Why do you believe this is related to your slow performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it does not sound normal to me that PS starts by recreating a temp file. How come? Suppose I went to sleep on day1, turned off the computer on the night of day 1. Get up on the sunny morning of day2, turned the computer on, read a couple of mails and started PS. From zero. How come it starts with a temp file? Where did it come from? It never behaved like this before. It usually took a few seconds to open PS, but never took 5 minutes. When it began to happen I began to look to what was going wrong. And I noticed this change in the D disk. I unisnstalled PS. When I reinstalled it, things went smooth for a few hours. And by smooth I mean that I exit PS and the D drive was cleaned. I launched PS afterwards and the D drive remained clean up to the point that I began to create something. That is how I deducted that my performance problem was due to the temp files. If I am wrong, I would be glad that you would show me the solution. Would you mind?

Thank you.

Bethania.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bethania. try this and see if it make a difference. make the scratch disc the same as the system disc which should be C:\ on most systems. Just to see if it makes a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cyberwasp​, I believe that was done when I restored the preferences to the default, as previously suggested. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. Having said that, I just tried it again, and again, it made no difference at all. Thank you, anyway.

Bethania.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a solution but creating temp files dounds normal or harmless. I fear it may be getting in the way if your discovering the real cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the creation of temp files are normal, the problem is when it becomes not normal. Once you close your file and exit PS, your temp files should be gone. For all. And do not come back, like ghosts, and disturb the start of the program later on. That is the issue. Here is the definition of a temp file: What is temporary file?

Thanks for your help.

Bethania.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bethanias. Am not sure how far you want to dig into this but there's a utility called "process monitor" from Microsoft that can be used to monitor what a program creates when running. It may help you find out what exactly is causing this problem so the techs at adobe can help you better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines