• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I constrain what is selected with the magic wand tool?

Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to explain this, but basically, I'm wanting to select people in an image to add a layers mask to "remove" the background. I do a rough selection, then zoom in to refine it. Sometimes I have large patches of color that would be easy to select with the magic wand tool... but it seems to select (or deseldct all sorts of other parts of the image when I do this. I have adjusted the tolerance to no avail. Is there a way to "tell it" (set a preference?) to only select that color in that area? Is there a way to get better control of what is selected with the magic wand tool? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

I'm on an iMac running Photoshop CC.

Thanks!

julie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Oh, that's good. The Magic Wand is a very basic selection tool: there are lots of better options out there. When you have time you might want to explore Color Range, Quick Mask and Select and Mask, to name a few. It's also very normal to combine several techniques and tools to get the desired result. Happy selecting!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contiguous and tolerance constrains the magic wand somewhat. Look at the tool option bar.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it seems to select (or deseldct all sorts of other parts of the image when I do this

In additional to setting options like Tolerance and Contiguous in the Options bar as per JJMack^^, are you aware you can hold the Shift key to add to a selection and the Alt/Opt to subtract?

This may also help: The Magic Wand Tool - Photoshop Selections

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am aware of that... I use those all the time! I just can't seem to control the magic wand, so I tend to avoid it when I'm doing really intricate selections. I just thought if I COULD control it better, it might be useful. I will try the Contiguous setting. That's one I didn't know about. Thanks, everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, that's good. The Magic Wand is a very basic selection tool: there are lots of better options out there. When you have time you might want to explore Color Range, Quick Mask and Select and Mask, to name a few. It's also very normal to combine several techniques and tools to get the desired result. Happy selecting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines