6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2016 10:07 AM by markmclachlan

Monotype Corsiva?

markmclachlan

Hello all,

Please excuse me, I'm a rookie with Adobe - I've tried looking around on Google and the forums to answer this but seem to be finding slightly different things. I have designed a logo in Illustrator and am trying to work with it in After Effects. When I made it in Ai, I've used the font Monotype Corsiva, and separated all of the parts of the logo into separate layers for working in Ae, however, when I've brought it over the layers aren't bringing over the characteristics I'd made them with in Ai; I have a gradient fill over the text with a thin outline stroke - when I imported it, it looks fine but when I convert to shape from vector layer so I can use it for effects it creates loads of groups and paths which is unusable and the gradient is lost, making it just a single fill.

Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 14.04.23.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-03 at 14.04.33.png

I tried to make the text layer within Ae to get around this, but it doesn't have the same fonts installed and I'm struggling to find a way around this. Any help to either convert the text correctly or get the same fonts into Ae as Ai would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

• 1. Re: Monotype Corsiva?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          when I've brought it over the layers aren't bringing over the characteristics I'd made them with in Ai; I have a gradient fill over the text with a thin outline stroke - when I imported it, it looks fine but when I convert to shape from vector layer so I can use it for effects it creates loads of groups and paths which is unusable and the gradient is lost, making it just a single fill.

the first thing you should ask yourself (if you haven't already) is: do you really need to convert the illustrator art to a shape?. the only reason to convert an illustrator art to shape is if you are planning to animate the path (morph the shape itself, not scale/rotation/ position that you can do with transform properties) or use a shape operator that does certain things similarly to some illustrator effects (only this time with the ability to apply animation) . I am asking this because usually for text you don't convert to shapes but use the text as a live text in Ae (which means you need the original font) and that too is only for certain animation. so firstly you should think how do you want to animate it and if it's even necessary to go through this. maybe share with us too

now, if you do want to convert an illustrator art to shape bare in mind that gradients don't pass through. instead you get a grey fill and you can if you want set a gradient fill through the adding it under content-> add -> gradient fill.

• 2. Re: Monotype Corsiva?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is nothing to do. It behaves as it's designed. AE simply cannot re-create everything AI does, not with shape layers nor with text layers. If that's really important to you, you have to leave it a flattened AI layer and rely on the underlying AI rasterization engine to get it right with continuous rasterization. Otherwise, and that's my advisde to you: Stop wasting your time in AI and learn how to create such stuff from scratch in AE. On a quite general level there's little point in prepping stuff in AI when you don't have the means to properly use it in AE. Starting off in AE being aware of the limitations and structuring the projects suitably in teh first place can avoid running into such obstacles, especialyl with something as simplistic and trivial as your design.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Monotype Corsiva?
              markmclachlan Level 1

Thanks Mylenium. As I mentioned, I'm new to Adobe (all of them, not just Ae), so I'm finding my way and not coming from a background in photo or video editing, there is a massive learning curve; a lot of the terms don't mean anything to me (rasterisation for one), so my Google search history is building up with editing-type terms and how-to's.

I do appreciate the advice, however, whilst it may seem trivial to you about the design, it is the design that I want with the font I want. The font is important as it fits well, I believe, with my logo. There is also more to the video than was in the screenshots, as this was but the beginning of the project.

• 4. Re: Monotype Corsiva?
                markmclachlan Level 1

Thank you Roei, your help has been much appreciated in this and my other post. I didn't need to convert it to a shape layer (I assumed I did, as I had to when making my other part of the animation.)

I am, however, unable to use the text as live text in Ae, as you mentioned, because the font isn't within Ae. This was my point: is there a way in which to have all of the fonts across all of the apps? When looking around it seemed like I need to buy Monotype Corsiva from font.com or wherever, but it's available in Ai?

The animation I'm applying, or attempting to, is to glitch the text and transform it to different text. For this, as you've rightly mentioned, I didn't need to change to a shape layer and can use it as it was.

• 5. Re: Monotype Corsiva?
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                  is there a way in which to have all of the fonts across all of the apps? When looking around it seemed like I need to buy Monotype Corsiva from font.com or wherever, but it's available in Ai?

this should happen automatically. guess there is a compatibility issue with this font across other apps. does it work in Photoshop?

The animation I'm applying, or attempting to, is to glitch the text and transform it to different text.

for this you don't need live text. can you show an example of how this kind of glitch works? you can draw it, or find a similar reference and we can guide you through the process

• 6. Re: Monotype Corsiva?
                    markmclachlan Level 1
                    this should happen automatically. guess there is a compatibility issue with this font across other apps. does it work in Photoshop?

Yes, I just checked and Photoshop has it and double-checked After Effects where it definitely doesn't show up.

for this you don't need live text. can you show an example of how this kind of glitch works? you can draw it, or find a similar reference and we can guide you through the process

Certainly, the video I've been following can be seen here. I want my logo to merge into an image I made of the nurburgring racetrack then back into the logo. I've managed that part, but I also want the text from my logo to glitch like the video then go into the text which is in the the image of the nurburgring.

The image of my logo:

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 17.32.03.png

I separated the layers so I can glitch the different parts of the text individually. I then want it to glitch into this:

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 17.34.51.png

The text isn't the most appealing so I will change the font but the text change is what I'm looking for.

I have the glitch effect working through a displacement map applied using the screen glitch video above:

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 17.55.03.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-04 at 17.55.57.png

However, when I apply it to an individual layer, so I can make different parts of the text glitch independently of one another, the glitch no longer appears; the text just remains still throughout when I play it:

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 18.02.58.png

Thanks for your help, it's really very appreciated!