2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2016 4:30 AM by dj_paige

Importing and file location

awursterphotos

I recently set up a new laptop to work on, and want to make sure I can store ALL imported images to an external hard drive. I created a new catalog on the external drive, but wondered if the MACBOOK makes automatic copies in the FINDER, or does the finder just reference the photos on the Hard drive ?

• 1. Re: Importing and file location
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Finder is just a utility that shows the contents of folders on your hard drive. If you want Lightroom to create a second copy of your images as you import them you need to set that up in the import dialog in Lightroom. Images are never "in" Finder, and they are never "in" Lightroom. The images are in folders on your hard drive.

• 2. Re: Importing and file location
            dj_paige Level 9

awursterphotos wrote:

I recently set up a new laptop to work on, and want to make sure I can store ALL imported images to an external hard drive. I created a new catalog on the external drive,

If you want your photos to be on the external drive, that's fine, but you don't need to put the catalog file there as well. Normally, the catalog file would go on your fastest disk, and the photos go on the slowest disk, space permitting.

but wondered if the MACBOOK makes automatic copies in the FINDER, or does the finder just reference the photos on the Hard drive ?

Computers don't do things with your files automatically, they only do things with your files that YOU instruct the computer to do. Finder is a program that shows you the name of the photos wherever they are. So I don't really understand what you are asking.

1 person found this helpful