Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Erro: Could Not Create Outlines

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am working on a vector animation in which I import AI files to AE and then convert vectors into shapes. Some of the AI files are problematic. Their little AI logos are gone in the composition and AE gives error "Could not create outlines" when I try to convert them.

How can I make AE see AI files as they are and figure out the "create shapes from vector layers" problem?

wwww.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

In addition to what Roei said consider this:

First question, why is it necessary to convert the vector layers to shapes? The only reason I know of to do so is to use the shape animators available under the "add" button in the timeline. If you are not doing that there is no advantage to converting vector layers to shapes so unless you are going to do things to the layers that can only be done to a shape layer there is no reason to go through this step.

Second question, have you looked at the layers

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a vector animation in which I import AI files to AE

your import process was incorrect. notice these icons:

it's the icon for an imported sequence. obviously you did not want to import an Ai sequence so re-import your files and make sure this checkbox is unchecked

How can I make AE see AI files as they are and figure out the "create shapes from vector layers" problem?

looking at your art it appears you are creating some sort of character animation. before you continue further in converting your illustrator art to shapes know this: the only reason to convert an illustrator art into a shape layer is if you are planning to change the vector information in those layers - meaning keyframe the path lines, the fill and stroke, and also add shape operators like "trim path" or "repeater". if you are not planning to do that and just want to animate using transform properties and effects (scale, rotation, position, puppet etc.) then you better off not covert your art into shapes. you would probably benefit from creating a rig for you animation too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Roei said consider this:

First question, why is it necessary to convert the vector layers to shapes? The only reason I know of to do so is to use the shape animators available under the "add" button in the timeline. If you are not doing that there is no advantage to converting vector layers to shapes so unless you are going to do things to the layers that can only be done to a shape layer there is no reason to go through this step.

Second question, have you looked at the layers that you are having problems with in illustrator to see what is different about them. Raster effects applied to a path in AI will cause that layer to be converted into pixels so there is no vector layer to convert to a shape. Overly complex paths, paths with blends, and paths with complex gradient fils will not convert accurately to shape layers in AE. You need to understand the limitations of this workflow and it is fairly well documented in the help files.

To fix your problem remove the effects applied to the layers in AI that are blocking the conversion to shapes or simplify the paths. Make sure that your layers are all separated in the right way and that your artwork is compatible with AE. If you have reviewed your AI file and can't find any problems post some detailed screenshots of the layers giving you problems in AE and AI and let us see the modified properties (appearance) of the layers in question so we can help you dig into the problem. Another option is to post the AI file so we can take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes gradient was the problem. You are right I do not necessarilly need them to be shape layers so I re-did my project.

Now I have another question: How can I assign material settings to my background? I want it to reflect light to look like ice.

buz.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes gradient was the problem.

no matter how complex your gradient is, it is unlikely to prevent you from converting your illustrator layer into a shape. what will happen is that you will just lose the gradient setting and get a grey color fill instead. you can recreate this gradient later if you want using a shape gradient fill. sequences on the other hand - cannot convert to shapes and give the error you got in your first post

How can I assign material settings to my background?

if by material you mean texture -  you can do this in compositing layers to create the look that you want by using blend modes, effects or other techniques that manipulate pixels. same as you do in Photoshop. it may be even unnecessary to composite the background in Ae since it's not suppose to animate and you can save that processing power for every frame that is needed in Ae - this means prepare your background in advance. you can do this in illustrator too if you feel it's suits your style.

if by material you mean how it reacts to light see below

I want it to reflect light to look like ice.

as for reflections, you can fake it  same like you did -you can create 3d lights and change the material options of that layer to your liking of that layer.

it has it's limits on realism - this is not the same as applying material to true 3d elements in a 3d app.

you can also fake this using 2d effects. see here a tutorial on creating a glass look which is the same as ice: Translucent Glass Tutorial - YouTube

if you have a reference for how you want exactly the ice layer to react to the light, it would be easier for us to help guide you in the right direction. even a frame where you show us how exactly you want this to react.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Roei,

Thank you for your answer.

I duplicated the image and used it as reflection, however it does not the final result I want. I want the background to be more shinny, reflecting the light. I am playing with the material options but they do not give the feeling of ice/glass.

I want the bg to reflect the lights so it would look more like this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-NFI9vdDhWM/maxresdefault.jpg

yasnima.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am playing with the material options but they do not give the feeling of ice/glass.

if it's the reflection bothering you then try this free plugin VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professional... by examining how it's setup you can also do the same.

if it's the texture - just make up the texture you want in Photoshop out of different layers while holding a reference side by side with your graphics. it appears to be nothing more then the right gradient type and maybe some texture with a bit of color correction tools like curves/levels as adjustments in certain areas. I say - composite the whole thing in 2d photoshop and then you will know how to pull this off in Ae.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines