2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 4:47 PM by Reg Natarajan

Newbie Questions

Reg Natarajan Level 1

Hello,

I've been using Lightroom for a while but never seriously.  I'm trying to get more into it and I have a few newbie questions, mostly pertaining to Lightroom Mobile and syncing with Lighroom CC.  I'm using two Smartphones (both with Lightroom Mobile) and one Windows 10 desktop with Lightroom CC.  All are the latest versions.  I've enabled "Sync with Lightroom Mobile" in the CC app.  My ultimate goal is that the photos on both smartphones and my desktop CC app are all just totally in sync with me able to prune, delete, edit and add from any of the devices with the changes reflected on all of them.

1. My main purpose with the mobile app is pruning.  When I remove a photo from the mobile app, however, it doesn't remove it from the desktop CC app.  Same for in reverse (when I delete from CC). Is this something I need to enable or is it just not available as an option?

2. When I take a photo with one Smartphone, it doesn't appear in the Lightroom of the other Smartphone.   Am I doing something wrong?

3. Is there a way to have a collection that just monitors a folder and automatically updates based on what's in that folder?  If a file is added, it gets added to the collection, and if a file is deleted it gets removed from the collection.

4. What's the difference between a collection and a gallery?  The mobile app has an option to "Save to Gallery" which I tried but now I have no idea where it is or even what I've done.  I admit I could almost certainly find the answer to this in the docs but if someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

5. When deleting from Lightroom CC, is it possible to make delete from disk the default without being prompted each time?

I might be looking for things that just aren't there.  I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Reg

• 1. Re: Newbie Questions
          JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

I am not a LR Mobile user so I cannot answer those questions.

Reg Natarajan wrote:

1. Is there a way to have a collection that just monitors a folder and automatically updates based on what's in that folder? If a file is added, it gets added to the collection, and if a file is deleted it gets removed from the collection.

Yes, create a smart collection with source set to folder and then choose "Contains" and enter the folder name.

Screenshot 2016-12-05 10.32.38.png

1. When deleting from Lightroom CC, is it possible to make delete from disk the default without being prompted each time?

No.  I don't think you really want to do this.  There are way too many times even without this that photos get deleted by accident and the user comes to this forum looking for a way to get the photo back. 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie Questions
            Reg Natarajan Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Joe.  That was very helpful about setting up a collection from a folder.

Regarding your comment about deleting, I'm pretty comfortable with the risk.  First, the deleted files end up in the recycle bin, easily recoverable.  Second, I actually set up my whole Lightroom ecosystem in a Dropbox so my catalogue, camera roll, and all files I work on are both backed up to the cloud and easily recoverable.   Works great.