1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 11:15 AM by pixlor

Can you DEBUG Fireworks files?

r.foszcz
      I've created a flyout menu using Fireworks. When I "test" the flyout from Fireworks it appears to work fine - all levels of the menu working as I had designed. I integrated the nav menu into my Dreamweaver template for a client's website and FTP'd the results to the test site.

Unfortunately, once up on the website, the menu doesn't work as expected. The first level menu structure works (on mouseover the 2nd level menu's "flyout") - but the 3rd level menu's do not work at all. I also find that after navigating away from index.html the 2nd level menus stop working!

I'm trying to find out how to debug the entire process to see why Fireworks won't integrate properly with the Dreamweaver template I integrated the Fireworks file into. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate a shout...

The website can be found at:

http://www.illinoiscccs.org/web/ssl/index.html

if anyone would like to see the problematic site...

Russ Foszcz
        • 1. Re: Can you DEBUG Fireworks files?
          pixlor Level 4
          quote:

Originally posted by: r.foszcz
          I've created a flyout menu using Fireworks. When I "test" the flyout from Fireworks it appears to work fine - all levels of the menu working as I had designed. I integrated the nav menu into my Dreamweaver template for a client's website and FTP'd the results to the test site.

Unfortunately, once up on the website, the menu doesn't work as expected. The first level menu structure works (on mouseover the 2nd level menu's "flyout") - but the 3rd level menu's do not work at all. I also find that after navigating away from index.html the 2nd level menus stop working!

I'm trying to find out how to debug the entire process to see why Fireworks won't integrate properly with the Dreamweaver template I integrated the Fireworks file into. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate a shout...

The website can be found at:

http://www.illinoiscccs.org/web/ssl/index.html

if anyone would like to see the problematic site...

Russ Foszcz

Russ,

Lots of people post because they have trouble with Fireworks menus. Usually, these people want a magic fix or are willing to spend days in the belief that it "just has to work, somehow!" (For example, this thread: Help with Rollovers and Hotspots for Drop Down Webpage Menu...)

Fireworks is primarily a graphics application. What you're doing is making code. The best environment for that is a coding environment. You should build menus in Dreamweaver. That said, there are professional plug-ins to Dreamweaver that will make the job of building menus easier as well as very robust.

Here are two sites that have menu plug-ins for Dreamweaver:
          Pluginlab Limited
          Project Seven
          The Project Seven menus are regularly recommended, but I have no personal experience with either of them.

Good luck!