From my understanding, it's where you have the pupils as a default position and factors that into both the eyes. So check out this template face: if my PSD has two eyes of the same size and the pupils are exactly in the center of those circles by default, it works as expected. However, if I move the left pupil to be slightly to the side more, now that becomes my new default position and it extends beyond the bounds of the eye. Hope that helps a little.
That seems to work pretty well for less complicated pupils that are just pupils. I'm working on big-ol' anime eyes that have complex irises, which also have to follow the pupil movement, and it's really not working well for me. I'm getting better at eyeballing it (Ha!), and I'm working on a template that's tweaked correctly, but it's still kind of a mess.
My first puppet:
Left eye has no pupil range set and over-hangs the eye shape a bit. The right eye uses the eye shape as a range.
On this particular puppet I fixed it by making a face-piece with the eyes cut out to mask the overhang, without defining a pupil range. If I ever need to move the eyes around, however, I'd need to redefine the whole mask.
My most recent semi-finished attempt:
In this case there's not really a way to add a masking piece unless I made the eyelids bigger, which opens up a whole different can of worms.
It would be so much easier if I just knew how/where the pupil range was actually defined. I feel like I'm starting over every time I have to make a tiny change because as soon as I get one piece working I have to fix all the pieces that got messed up in the process.
1 person found this helpful
Try this: Adobe Creative Cloud
- I made right and left eyeball layers as invisible squares at the top of the groups. These got tagged as the pupil ranges.
- I turned the camera and mouse strength down to 27%.
I haven't ever used anime eyes like this before, so this was a new one to me. What I believe happens is that the origin of the pupils is what can't go past the eyeball range barriers, so in the case of these huge ones, the origin overlap made the pupils look like they were falling outside of the range. Making the eyeballs invisible boxes and turning down the strength helped here. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction...
Thanks! If you think of or learn of any solutions that don't require tuning in CA, let me know. The more that resides in the native .ai the better, at least for the time being.