3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 12:18 PM by rebekkab56589194

Adobe digital editions - Cannot activate -  Cannot connect to Activation Server

briank99751229 Level 1

My library switched from ePUB files to ACSM files and ADE 3.0 would not even see them.  I too downloaded ADE 4.5.2.  I went through the registry editing steps because I could not DE-authorize the account until I did so (option greyed out).  After deleting registry key I could de-authorize but now cannot re-authorize.  Software says it cannot connect to "activation server" and I am not online.  Duh, how do they think I am posting this?

The Chat people just pass the buck here with no assistance.

As you can see they have not addressed this issue in the forums

I called Adobe and got tech support on the phone - they cannot help because it is "a free product" ignoring the $$$ they earn from the libraries who license and use ADE.

• 1. Re: Adobe digital editions - Cannot activate -  Cannot connect to Activation Server
          briank99751229 Level 1

This issue has NOT been answered.  Who is Mark and why did he "assume" it had been?

Please answer, others have the same problem!!!  Read my description.  I have done all suggested steps without success.

• 2. Re: Adobe digital editions - Cannot activate -  Cannot connect to Activation Server
            briank99751229 Level 1

Success!!!!!

None of the prior steps helped me at all.  However, what I just did that worked was to delete ALL versions of ADE on my computer and reinstall version 4.0. 

I had updated from v3.0 to v4.5.2 to deal with the ASCM files type but got in the same endless loop of failure to authorize or failure to connect to authentication server, both errors (falsely) suggesting I was not connect to the internet.

The registry editing, DE-authorizing/re-authorizing, shutting down windows firewall/Norton antivirus etc. just cycled me through these error messages without solving the problem. 

I don't even know when v4.0 was downloaded or if it was automatic at some point, but by uninstalling v3.0 and v4.5 and selectively installing v4.0 everything worked the way it should.

I must say I found the chat people with whom you connect when you click the Help tab in ADE was worthless (actually worse than worthless since the snarkily pointed out it was free if necessary software and therefor not supported) and the Forum articles simply cycled me through useless and sometimes scary (deactivating all my PC's security features) steps without resolving the problem.

V4.0 works as it should.   Now I just have to figure out how to assure it will not auto-update and put me back in server failure hell.

Hope this helps others.  Good Luck out there...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe digital editions - Cannot activate -  Cannot connect to Activation Server
              rebekkab56589194

Thank you for the update!

I had the same problem. The final solution for me is v3.0 but your entry was the input I needed for solving the annoying problem.

Thanks again