5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 4:48 PM by Kevin-Monahan

3D wireframe square

mmjonathan

Hi,

I've made a stroke based 3d square that needs to animate in different ways.

The square is made up of 6 individual squares which makes the edges look uneven.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.
      Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.36.13.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.34.17.png

/Jonathan

• 1. Re: 3D wireframe square
          mmjonathan Level 1

I have tried using offset path which can work but affects the general width of the stroke.

• 2. Re: 3D wireframe square
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If these 6 layers were created with the shape tools then just change the characteristics of the stroke.

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 7.39.24 AM.png

You have to be a little careful because the layers have no depth unless you enable the C4D renderer (or Ray-traced rendering but that is no longer recommended) and extrude them, but changing the corners should help. You also have to consider the width of the stroke when creating your cube. Take a close look at the screenshot and the properties of the shape layer and you should figure it out.

• 3. Re: 3D wireframe square
              mmjonathan Level 1

Thanks! I think I made it work now. At least I don't see the rough edges anymore. Unfortunately I don't have access to C4D which would have been preferable because Ae don't make the strokes 3D. You don't happen to know a way to make the strokes 3D in any way? Might not be possible.

But thanks

/Jonathan

• 4. Re: 3D wireframe square
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mmjonathan wrote:

I don't have access to C4D which would have been preferable because Ae don't make the strokes 3D.

If you're using CC, you have Cinema 4D Lite included for free!

See this tutorial series for the best intro to C4D Lite I know of.

mmjonathan wrote:

You don't happen to know a way to make the strokes 3D in any way? Might not be possible.

It is not possible in AE alone. AE does not do 3d like that. (It's really only 2.5D.)

You could do this with Plexus.

You could kind of fake it with 12 instances of the Beam effect tied via expressions to the comp space position of eight nulls that are positioned in 3d space.

Or you could do it really easily in C4D Lite.

• 5. Re: 3D wireframe square
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi mmjonathan,

Did you solve your issue?

Thanks,
                  Kevin