0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2008 8:42 AM by HieiJ

Inheritance and Web Services

HieiJ
      I'm working with some web services written in JEE with JAX-WS 2.1 on GlassFish v2.
      I import the WDSL description with Flex Builder 3 import utility and it works very well. It's a very nice tool!!!

What I'm trying to do now is a web service that returns an array of objects. These objects are instances of a hierarchy of java classes. To make JAX-WS aware of these classes I've used the @XmlSeeAlso annotation. Now the generated WDSL lets Flex Builder correctly create the class hierarchy AS definition files. But when I call the web service function in my Flex application, every object in the array is instantiated as the base class, losing all child classes informations.

Is it a bug or a limitation of the automatic generation of the AS classes? Looking at the SOAP messages exchanged with the Application Server, the response message correctly carries the class information (in the xsd:type attribute) of every element in the array.

As example, I have the following java class hierarchy:

class A;
      class B extends A;
      class C extends A;

Flex Builder creates the same class hierarchy from the WDSL provided.
      The web service function, defined with "Array of A objects" return type, returns:

From the web service application: [ B, A, C, C, A, B, B]
      In the Flex application: [A, A, A, A, A, A, A]

Anyone has some experience about this problem?

Thanks!!!