8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2009 5:40 AM by Newsgroup_User

Two problems!! Text links and page proportions

virtualcomposer
      I have two problems I can't figure out. I would rather make my menus in photoshop so they blend better and better editing capabilities. The thing I know can happen but don't know the button to press is I make the menu in photoshop then in dreamweaver highlight those text from photoshop. Also, when I look at my page on the web, as I pull my page bigger, the background image doesn't follow the browser and resize. It's just the same size and has that aweful repeat look which is bad if you have textures. My margin settings for the background image us zero percent on all four. What am I doing wrong?
        • 1. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
          Level 7
          >>What am I doing wrong?
          If by "I make the menu in photoshop" you mean you are generating HTML code
          from Photoshop, that's a very bad choice. Apps like Photoshop generate
          verbose, convoluted & fragile code. Create only images in PS and all code in
          DW.

Beyond that we'll have to see the page to identify the problems you
          describe. Link please!
          --

Walt

"virtualcomposer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gjg43i$s0p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have two problems I can't figure out. I would rather make my menus in
          > photoshop so they blend better and better editing capabilities. The thing
          > I
          > know can happen but don't know the button to press is I make the menu in
          > photoshop then in dreamweaver highlight those text from photoshop. Also,
          > when
          > I look at my page on the web, as I pull my page bigger, the background
          > image
          > doesn't follow the browser and resize. It's just the same size and has
          > that
          > aweful repeat look which is bad if you have textures. My margin settings
          > for
          > the background image us zero percent on all four. What am I doing wrong?
          >

• 2. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
            Level 7
            <Also, when I look at my page on the web, as I pull my page bigger, the
            background image
            doesn't follow the browser and resize. It's just the same size and has that
            awful repeat look which is bad if you have textures. >

Sorry but background images are static. They don't "resize" when the screen
            gets bigger or smaller. To fill the browser viewport with a background, use
            CSS and define a color along with a suitable repeating image swatch.
            http://alt-web.com/Backgrounds.shtml

--
            Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

• 3. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
              virtualcomposer Level 1
              I know there has to be a way to make a link box around a word that was made in photoshop. Coming out of photoshop it's just a JPEG and I've done the link box thing before.
              • 4. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
                Level 7

> I know there has to be a way to make a link box around a word that was made in
                > photoshop.

Then it's not text, it's an image.

If you want all of that image to be "clickable" and linked to something,
                select it in design view, and use the LINK box in the Property Inspector to
                browse to and select the file you want to link it to.

If you only want part of the image to be a link, or to have different parts
                of it link to different things, you want an imagemap, in dreamweaver they
                use the word "hot spot"

select the image,
                use the hotspot tools in the lower left of the propert inspector to "draw"
                the hotspot and make the link.

--
                Alan
                Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 5. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
                  virtualcomposer Level 1
                  Is there a way to make dreamweaver's text have an invisible background in their boxes? It doesn't match my graphics
                  • 6. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
                    Level 7
                    > Is there a way to make dreamweaver's text have an invisible background in
                    > their boxes?

"Dreamweaver's" text is just HTML text. And it *does* have an invisible
                    background. Perhaps if you show us your page things will be clarified.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    ==================

news:gjh1gi$5ee$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Is there a way to make dreamweaver's text have an invisible background in
                    > their boxes? It doesn't match my graphics

• 7. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
                      virtualcomposer Level 1
                      What I mean is a page that follows the browser left to right. Industrial light and magic is a good homepage example. My homepage has a total static page. I expired my background out of photoshop as a web based picture. I just need to know how to make my background image follow as I adjust it left and right.
                      • 8. Re: Two problems!! Text links and page proportions
                        Level 7
                        Sorry - that's still not very clear. What does this mean?

> I just need to
                        > know how to make my background image follow as I adjust it left and right.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

news:gjm2iu$30t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > What I mean is a page that follows the browser left to right. Industrial
                        > light
                        > and magic is a good homepage example. My homepage has a total static
                        > page. I
                        > expired my background out of photoshop as a web based picture. I just
                        > need to
                        > know how to make my background image follow as I adjust it left and right.
                        >