Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Style Sheets don't work anymore

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gang,

So I'm highlighting a bit of copy (paragraph) and going to New Style and naming it for the style. But but I go to apply that style in InDesign 2017, it no longer changes the type. I'm doing a calendar of events, so this is VERY frustrating!. I've already trashed my prefs. Has InDesign changed the way stylesheets work? I"m on a MAC. OS 10.10.5. My workload is backing up because of this.... HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 12.14.14 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm sure you are up against overrides. Try Alt/Opt clicking on the style name instead of just clicking it. Does that work?

If not show a screen shot of the entire screen with the cursor in the paragraph and the Styles panel open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb. No doesn't work. Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.48.22 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show me the same view with the Characters Styles panel in front?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 12.14.14 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barb... could it have something to do with the way the previous builder of this file created his stylesheets? the Character sheets seems to work, but not the paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks to me, Susan that the paragraph in question has paragraph style assigned called Green Entry, but it also has a character style assigned to the entire paragraph called Calendar Events, which is overriding the paragraph style.

With the entire paragraph selected (as in the last screen shot), Alt/Opt click on [None] at the top of the Character styles list, and you should be good to go. (If not, of course come back and tell us!)

The background: Paragraphs styles should be used to format the entire paragraph, and character styles should be used to emphasize/differentiate words/strings within that paragraph. Trouble starts when a character format is assigned to an entire paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your help sorting this out Barb. I believe that the guy who originally built the file was using the wrong kind of stylesheet, as you were able to see quickly. I should have thought about that. This gentleman often has a strange way of building files. I'm glad it's not something broken in InDesign! I'm rebuilding the file correctly. Thanks so much for your help. Sometimes you just need a fresh eye on things like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad I could help you, Susan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines