2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2016 7:57 PM by johnd64456340

ZWNJ in text variable dropping

johnd64456340

Hello,

I have a file with a chapter title in Kurdish. The authors put in zero-width non-joiners (x200C) liberally to keep characters from joining others. However, the ZWNJ does not remain in the running header, set up with a character style text variable. This makes two characters join inappropriately. Do text variables automatically drop certain nonprinting characters? Is there a setting that will fix this, or do I need to use a hair space for these instances? The hair space seems to work, with the obvious drawback that it is not zero-width.

I'm happy to supply a file if you wish to poke around.

Thanks!

John

• 1. Re: ZWNJ in text variable dropping
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ach. Have you tried replacing the zero-width non-joiners with zero width spaces? (x200B)  Are you using the ME edition?

I have had a lot of problems over the years with long-document-automation tools that were built with Latin script in mind. Text variables in particular are fussy. If the zero-width space doesn't work for you, then maybe you should post a file so we can click around.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ZWNJ in text variable dropping
            johnd64456340 Level 1

Thanks, Joel. It seems the zero-width space has the same problem. If nothing else, you've confirmed for me that the text variables are a finicky feature. I am using the Western InDesign with World Tools Pro. I will probably end up using a hair space, since it is only slightly wider than the "space" created by the characters not joining. But if you want to play, here is a link: WeTransfer . Thanks!