• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cp9 - Any way to show Playbar after success on quiz slide?

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but everything I've found relates to earlier versions of Captivate...

My quiz slides are all Knowledge Check Slides.  I have checked "Hide Playbar in Quiz".  Nothing I've tried seems to work to show the Playbar after success on a quiz slide.

I'm not too thrilled about having to roll my own navigation buttons.  However, if that is advised by experienced users that's what I'll do.  I have a lot of courses to build and I need flexibility.

Is it possible to hide/disable just the "Forward" button on the Playbar?  I'm only a few months into Captivate and I may be missing something.

thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a good idea to hide the playbar during quiz, because scrubbing the progress bar in the playbar would allow the user to skip all quiz slides. On content slides the playbar will reappear. Indeed, I almost never use a default CP playbar because it is confusing if the project is ot linear. Why do you want the playbar to reappear on a KC slide? KC slides when revisited are always reset, answers are cleared. You could have a look at this blog post, where I tried to explain the differences between normal quiz slides and KC slides:

Knowledge Check Slides - tips - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main reason why I want to show the Playbar is to maintain consistency with the rest of the course and the way the client is used to seeing the interface work.  My courses are at this point all strictly linear.  I'm converting a bunch of old flash based courses to Cp9. I've rolled my own interactions and used Drag and Drops this way successfully - only showing the playbar once the interaction is complete.

I will check your blog shortly.  As always, I appreciate your prompt input - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no - I just realized the user can click and drag on the Progress Bar.  Is there a way to disable that function?  I thought it was a non-interactive item that simply displays the position in the course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not have to hide the playbar, it is a free choice. If you don't care that the user will click the Next button on the playbar instead of th Submit button on the KC-slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want more control over when the playbar appears with Knowledge Check questions DO NOT turn on the option in Quiz Settings to Hide Playbar during the quiz.  That will just stop you from being able to do anything with the playbar while there are any kind of quiz questions showing.

Instead, set the On Slide Enter event of the KC question slides to execute a HIDE PLAYBAR action. Then you can set the On Success event of the same slide to SHOW Playbar.

If you want this level of control due to the presence of KC slides in the project, but still want the playbar NOT to appear for the normal Quiz slides, just set the On Slide Enter event of the first normal scored Quiz slide to hide the playbar and set it to be SHOWN again by the On Slide Enter event of the Quiz Results slide.

Captivate doesn't give you fine-grained control over interaction with the scrubbing bar on the Playbar.  You can only either have it shown or not shown (via the Project Skin > Playbar settings).  However, if your content is output to HTML5 the Infosemantics CpExtra widget does allow you to disable interaction with the scrubber bar even when it is visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is what I mentioned: in a previous answe:r reason to hide the playbar is to prevent the user from skipping a question. If you keep the default KC setup, and hide the playbar, the user will have to answer the KC slide correctly and only in that situation will he be able to proceed. The Success action is set to 'Continue' by default, but you could change it to 'Go to Next Slide' to avoid the waiting time of the inactive part of the quiz slide, which is by default 1.5secs.

If you want to use the approach explained by Rod, by hiding the Playbar with the On Enter event of the quiz slide, you could make the playbar visible with the Success even, by replacing the simple action 'Continue' by a 'Show Playbar'. In that case the user will have to click the Forward button on the playbar to continue to the next KC slide. Maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources