• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

proxies also sluggish

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i've had lots of problem using canon c300 mk 2 footage natively in ppro. nothing but dropped frames, etcetera. some people thought that even for 1080 sequences i should make proxies.

i never had to do that using fcpx, davinci resolve, they both play the material perfectly, no hickups at all. natively. same computer, same drives.

and now ppro. Its not capable of keeping up in realtime. hickups, freezes, etc. terrible. i have the fastest mac pro, 32 gb ram, dual d700 videocards (dont tell me theres a problem with them, they work perfectly with fcpx etc.) and  a thunderbolt 2 raid pegasus. really fast. and a studio express blackmagic.

now i'm on a 4k project. i thought that after the ppro update it would be fine to edit 4k natively. i shouldnt have thought that. its worse, of course, and funny that both fcpx AND resolve also play the 4K canon mxf's PERFECTLY, without a hitch.

so i thought, i really want to edit in prpro, because of the way it is supposed to work. lets make the bloody proxies. and so i made them. guess what?

THEY ALSO HICK, STUTTER ETCETERA.. not as bad as the 4k, but VERY annoying. im a FAST editor and this is SLOW. but my machine is FAST. and they are stupid lowres proxies i could play with my SLOW imac from the 70s. come on adobe, where's the native support for canon c300 mk2 if everybody already has it? ppro is WAY too expensive to have such bad performance. i'm really thinking of ending my subscription if its not solved fast.

thanx, pim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codec/settings did you use for the proxies?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi neil, i used the one premiere suggested. prores proxy 1024x 540., with 4 and 6 channels of audio.

the problem might be that before i start editing, i combined the native files with my audio channels, since i shoot with separate sound, that is synced by timecode. So the software i use for that -tentacle sync- makes .mov from the canon mxf combined with the 6 channels of wav audio. it just puts the files in another container, it doesn't render it. But again; fcpx and resolve don't have a problem with that, and premiere also reads them, but doesn't play them as it should. As we speak im copying the original files without the combined sound to my drive, to check if its any better.

i made the proxies with ppro from these .mov files tentacle sync made. so even if ppro can't handle the 'native' .movs with 6 audio channels, it should after the ingest to the prores proxies shouldn't it. they play better, but certainly not as it should.

And i also noticed there is NO difference between playing the 4k combined files from a usb drive, or my fast RAID. and that tells me there's not a drive problem but a software problem... the play fine for 3 seconds, and then start losing frames.

i'm on 10.11.6, ppro 2017, and latest black magic driver.

thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And i also noticed there is NO difference between playing the 4k combined files from a usb drive, or my fast RAID. and that tells me there's not a drive problem but a software problem... the play fine for 3 seconds, and then start losing frames."

That is not 'normal' behavior. Which does suggest to me there might be a variety of things. Perhaps Bill Gehrke​ or RoninEdits​ could be of help here.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would test your USB 3 drive and that "Fast" RAID array with CrystalDiskMark and show us the results.  Also what level RAID are your disk drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since fcpx and resolve work fine, it suggests the problem with premiere, especially since premiere isn't even working well with those low res proxies. the only thing that sticks out to me is the blackmagic studio express. there have been playback problems reported with some video i/o devices from various mfg's. sometimes it can be fixed by changing audio settings in premiere and/or the operating system audio settings, sometimes the only thing that seems to fix playback is disabling the video i/o device and mercury transmit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok so i found out premiere can't handle the 4k files after they are put into a new .mov container, combined with 6 or so audio files. thats the way i sync my sound to my video, with tentacle sync. resolve and fcpx dont have problems with it, premiere does. it does play the 4k files fine, if they are native, so without the added sound. But still, the easy proxies don't play fine. Since i don't have to make them anymore, i don't have a problem now, i will use the export premiere XML file from tentacle sync. Its less easy to edit this way, but its fine for now.

thanx, pim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines