23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 1:06 AM by Sean_Wilson

How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

TheOriginal150mph Level 1

So I've got this grouping of buttons in the bottom right corner of bunches of my cell-like animation movies, a very simplistic setup I've been doing for years, and was wondering if there was an easy, simplistic way for the user to be able to grab the whole group - e.g., by clicking the bar above the Prev & Next buttons in attached pic - and dragging it anywhere on the stage while the movie plays?

I have only amateurish hobbyist Director skills with only the most basic beginner Lingo (global? whats that?!!) , so I don't know if I'm even describing this well enough, much less coming up with how to make it work or coding the Lingo.

buttons.jpg

Oh yeah, it has to work in Director 11!

Links, suggestions appreciated..

Mac os10.6.8 / Dir. 11 CS6

• 1. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Sound like a job for an LDM (linked Director movie), but this is non-trivial. Hit Google and come back with questions

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Ok thanks Mr. W!

I tried something very simplistic from reading about LDM  & got some limited success.

I made a movie the same size as the button group (70x50px) with all the scripted buttons in it, then imported it into one of my regular movies - and the buttons all work, even though its a single sprite on stage! So that was kind of a thrill for a beginner. Then I tried making the sprite "Movable" (clicking the button next to the blue "Trails" button; not sure if that's the right name) just for the heck of it, but that just breaks the buttons and doesn't work. That would've been too easy!

As far as having one button group that can be dragged around while the movie plays, that would be ideal, but maybe more involved  - like you say - than worth it for my hobby projects.

But is this a step in the right direction toward a repositionable button group?

Guess I should take a step back and ask your opinion about overcoming the problem I'm tackling. What got me thinking about repositionable button groups is that as my monitors change over the years, and older movie stages sometimes are just a bit too big for my current monitor, having permanent buttons (tucked out of the way) in the bottom right corner doesn't always work, and it would be nice to be able to move them to a better place when the movie's playing, rather than re-construct all my older movies. And as a more flexible nav going forward.

I'm thinking maybe I could make do with a workaround. Maybe I could have a 2nd button group hidden in the top left corner and just swap it in when needed. (I don't want it there the whole time.) So I'm experimenting with this now…

Here are some links Google came up with for "adobe Director, linked Director movie", not sure if these are what you had in mind:

Setting linked Director movie properties

Using Director movies within Director movies

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Screen shot 2016-12-11 at 6.53.28 PM.png

• 3. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Have considered using a separate movie file played as a MIAW? This can be forced to stay on top and moved wherever the user likes by dragging the titlebar, just like any other window.

• 4. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
                Rod@FOF Level 1

Hello,

Here is a simple script that will cause a bunch of sprites to move together under the direction of a single sprite.

1. Assume:

Guide = a sprite named guide that is a bar like you propose that is used to drag other elements around on the screen.

c1 = a sprite in your score named c1 that is one of your controls.

c2 through cn = sprites in your score named c2 through cn (the last of your controls)

2. Create a behavior which contains the following code: My example includes only 4 controls, but you can make as many as you need.

On mousewithin me

sprite("c1").loch = sprite("guide").loch - sprite("guide").width/2 + (adjustment determined by testing)

sprite("c2").loch = Sprite("c1").loch + sprite("c1").width

sprite("c3").loch = sprite("c2").loch + sprite("c2").width

sprite("c4").loch = sprite("c3").loch + sprite("c3").width

sprite("c1").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + (adjustment determined by testing)

sprite("c2").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + (adjustment determined by testing)

sprite("c3").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + (adjustment determined by testing)

sprite("c4").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + (adjustment determined by testing)

updatestage

end

3. Apply the behavior to your Guide sprite. Just drag the behavior onto your Guide sprite in your score.

4. Set your guide sprite to "movable" in the stage. Also done from the score, no lingo required.

5. What will happen. All of your controls, c1 through cn, will be linked together by their horizontal and vertical locations on the screen. In turn, your first control, c1, is locked to the Guide, which is set to moveable. So when your mouse is within the Guide and you press your mouse down on it, you can drag the Guide around the screen and the controls will follow.

I have tried to keep this as simple as possible but did rush to put it together so hope it is clear. With the addition of global and properties this could be more broadly useful.

Regards,

Rod

• 5. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Thanks Rod. This question was a little old so appreciate your input. This script appears to have the simple follow the leader idea I was looking for. Gave it a try but ran into a problem.

Here's my version, with 6 buttons (cast members named c1 - c7) & one guide bar cast member called "guide" - which I assume when added to the score is the Guide sprite (novice thinking). This guide sprite is set to Moveable. The script on the guide cast member (plugging in 100 for starters to see what moves where) is:

On mousewithin me

sprite("c1").loch = sprite("guide").loch - sprite("guide").width/2 + 100

sprite("c3").loch = Sprite("c2").loch + sprite("c2").width

sprite("c5").loch = sprite("c4").loch + sprite("c4").width

sprite("c6").loch = sprite("c5").loch + sprite("c5").width

sprite("c7").loch = sprite("c6").loch + sprite("c6").width

sprite("c1").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 100

sprite("c2").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 100

sprite("c3").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 100

sprite("c4").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 100

sprite("c5").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 100

sprite("c6").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 100

sprite("c7").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 100

updatestage

end

Screen shot 2017-01-03 at 10.55.37 PM.png

btns.png

I tried the number in parens but that didnt help

Thanks Sean for your suggestion too but have found troubleshooting MIAW's out of my level

• 6. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
                    Rod@FOF Level 1

Hello,

Error on the #loch property probably is occurring because you have not named the SPRITES in the SCORE. Thus, the "property not found" error. Script can't find a sprite("c1").loch because it can't find a sprite named c1. (From your discussion I think you have named the cast members  in the  cast c1, c2,... cn, but did not name the sprites in the SCORE c1, c2, ... cn.)

To fix, click on a sprite in your score and look in the property manager box, where the sprite's properties are listed. You will see a place in the property manager box where you can give the sprites names. This is where they must be named.

If you have trouble with this, just select HELP and search "naming sprites" or "sprite names". The guide sprite must also be named in the score.

Finally, I would start with an adjustment of 0 and then after running to see how things align increase by small pixel amounts until all aligns.

Hope this helps. If you need more clarification, just let me know. I will be happy to assist, though it may take a few days.

Rod

• 7. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Thanks. Ok I named all the sprites the same as their cast names c1-c7. I changed the adjustment to the 0 recommended. Here's the current script on the guide cast member.

On mousewithin me

sprite("c1").loch = sprite("guide").loch - sprite("guide").width/2 + 0

sprite("c3").loch = Sprite("c2").loch + sprite("c2").width

sprite("c5").loch = sprite("c4").loch + sprite("c4").width

sprite("c6").loch = sprite("c5").loch + sprite("c5").width

sprite("c7").loch = sprite("c6").loch + sprite("c6").width

sprite("c1").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 0

sprite("c2").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 0

sprite("c3").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 0

sprite("c4").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 0

sprite("c5").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 0

sprite("c6").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 0

sprite("c7").locv = sprite("Guide").locv + Sprite("Guide").height + 0

updatestage

end

When running, I get this error:

Screen shot 2017-01-04 at 11.16.36 PM.png

Some kind of sprite movement happened though. When I click "cancel" in the error msg, the buttons do this:

Screen shot 2017-01-04 at 11.23.28 PM.png

• 8. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
                        Ladnarth Level 1

Here are a couple behaviors that will not require any programming on your part.

The following is a behavior that you attach to the sprite that the user clicks on, which in your case is the bar at the top. It is imperative that this sprite be in a lower sprite channel than all of the other sprites in the drag group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------

--  DragAreaSprite

-- Attach this behavior to the sprite that the user will click on to drag a group of sprites.

-- This sprite MUST be in a lower numbered sprite channel than all of the other sprites.

Property  pMe

Property  pGroupSprites

Property  pLastLoc

Property  pMoving

Property  pRightBounds

Property  pBottomBounds

Property  pLowestSprite

Property  pStageRect

Property  pMouseOutOfBounds

on beginSprite me

pMe = sprite(me.spriteNum)

pLowestSprite = pMe

pMoving = false

pRightBounds = (the stage).rect.width

pBottomBounds = (the stage).rect.height

pStageRect = rect(0, 0, pRightBounds, pBottomBounds)

pGroupSprites = []

end beginSprite

on mouseDown me

pLastLoc = _mouse.mouseLoc

pMoving = true

pMouseOutOfBounds = false

end  mouseDown

on mouseUp me

pMoving = false

end mouseUp

on mouseUpOutside me

pMoving = false

end mouseUpOutside

on addGroupSprite me, groupSprite

pGroupSprites.add(groupSprite)

if pLowestSprite.rect.bottom < groupSprite.rect.bottom then pLowestSprite = groupSprite

end addGroupSprite

on enterFrame me

if  pMoving = false then exit

delta = _mouse.mouseLoc - pLastLoc

-- left/right bounds check

if delta[1] + pMe.loc[1] < 0 then delta[1] = -pMe.loc[1]

if delta[1] + pMe.rect.right > pRightBounds then delta[1] = pRightBounds  - pMe.rect.right

-- top/bottom bounds check

if delta[2] + pMe.loc[2] < 0 then delta[2] = -pMe.loc[2]

if delta[2] +  pLowestSprite.rect.bottom > pBottomBounds then delta[2] = pBottomBounds  -  pLowestSprite.rect.bottom

pMe.loc = pMe.loc + delta

call(#move, pGroupSprites, delta)

if  not  _mouse.mouseLoc.inside(pStageRect) then pMoving = false

end enterFrame

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------

Attach this next behavior script to all of the other sprites in the sprite group and it should just work.

--  DragGroupSprite

-- Add this behavior to each sprite that needs to move in sync with the sprite

-- that has the DragAreaSprite behavior attached to it.

Property  pDragAreaSprite

on getPropertyDescriptionList me

props = [:]

props[#pDragAreaSprite] =  [#default:1, #format:#Integer, #comment:"Sprite Number of Draggable area."]

return props

end getPropertyDescriptionList

on beginSprite me

sprite(pDragAreaSprite).addGroupSprite(sprite(me.spriteNum))

end beginSprite

on move me, delta

me.loc = me.loc + delta

end move

• 9. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Thanks Ladnarth. That sounds pretty awesome also. Can't wait to try it, but will be a bit.. thx

• 10. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
                            Rod@FOF Level 1

Hello,

1. Once again, the property error is caused by one of the sprites NOT being properly named in the score. You may recall your first error message, before naming any sprites in the score said the missing property was also a loch and it occurred with sprite 1.This time, looks like it would be Sprite 6 or 7. You may have not named it or have a typo in the name in the score.

2. The movement you saw is the script beginning to work. Here is where you add the adjustments, one sprite at a time. Just start adding values to the adjustment, 10 or so at a time. Each time you run it, it will move one way or another. Then just change the offset value. Soon it all works together.

3. Remember in my first message I said that a better script could be made if you used globals or properties. That is just what Ladnarth has offered you a script that uses properties. It takes more code, but it is in the long run a better solution. On the other hand, the script I provided you will work and takes less code. You seem code adverse so it's difficult to say what is the best option for you.

Rod

• 11. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Rod@FOF wrote:

Hello,

1. Once again, the property error is caused by one of the sprites NOT being properly named in the score. You may recall your first error message, before naming any sprites in the score said the missing property was also a loch and it occurred with sprite 1.This time, looks like it would be Sprite 6 or 7. You may have not named it or have a typo in the name in the score.

Thanks for trying to help me.

You're saying that the only reason it doesn't work is the sprites aren't named correctly? Have a look at this screen cap comp of all my sprite prop. inspectors, with names highlighted. There are no blank spaces after the names - I checked all. If they're not named as you said, I don't see what I'm missing...

Is it possible this might not work with Dir. 11, or something else?

I uploaded my test .dir to WeTransfer.com if you felt like having a look:  WeTransfer           (  https://we.tl/3Fy770u70d  )

sprite naming:
                              moveable_buttons_sprite_names.jpg

cast naming:

Screen shot 2017-01-08 at 9.28.47 PM.png

• 12. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Ladnarth wrote:

Here are a couple behaviors that will not require any programming on your part.

Thanks for trying to help.

but.. problems.

I believe I'm set up to your specs. I started with the "Guide" bar/handle sprite in the lowest number sprite channel of all the buttons - #20, and the others in 21-28.

Here is a screencap comp of messages Director is giving. The property desc. errors only came up once. I clicked "Keep Current" for all 7. The Script error comes up each Run.

Then I thought maybe you meant put the Guide bar in the physically lower channel - but higher number. I put Guide in the highest number - #29.  But same error, no change.

Here's my.dir test file if you felt like having a look:  WeTransfer    ( https://we.tl/LZfOKgnewr  )

I hope it's a simple tweak. Is it possible this might not work with Dir. 11?

I had scripts on the button cast members (IDK how acceptable this for your method, its how I learned way-back-when). I took all the scripts off the button casts to make sure that wasn't causing problems. Does a cast member script - eg. Go next - work ok with your method?

moveable_buttons_errors_Ladnar.jpg

• 13. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

I looked at your file, corrected it and uploaded a copy here

You might do some reading on using pre-cooked behaviors

• 14. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Thanks for your help Sean

IDK if you literally meant "pre-cooked behaviors" is a Lingo programmers phrase - search didn't find anything relevant. Or you're just saying I shouldn't expect a generic non-custom solution to work for my specific needs?

I tried this out and although the buttons stay together on click and drag - which is pretty awesome - the guide/handle sprite strays. With each drag, the guides relative position moves farther off from expected.

Is there a fix?

Before:

Screen shot 2017-01-09 at 10.31.35 PM.png

Drag 1:

Screen shot 2017-01-09 at 10.31.44 PM.png

Drag 2:

Screen shot 2017-01-09 at 10.31.56 PM.png

• 15. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
                                      Ladnarth Level 1

The problem is that you have "Moveable" turned on for sprite 20, which does not play nice with the code.

To fix this, select sprite 20. Bring up the Property Inspector. Click the Sprite tab and click the "Moveable" icon to unselect it.

Additionally I noticed that the bounds checking was off do to differences in bitmap registration points between your file and my development file, so I tweaked some of the code so it will work for both of us. Replace the matching code in the DragGroupControler behavior with the following code.

if delta[1] + pMe.rect.left < 0 then delta[1] = -pMe.rect.left

if delta[1] + pMe.rect.right > pRightBounds then delta[1] = pRightBounds  - pMe.rect.right

if delta[2] + pMe.rect.top < 0 then delta[2] = -pMe.rect.top

if delta[2] +  pLowestSprite.rect.bottom > pBottomBounds then delta[2] = pBottomBounds  -  pLowestSprite.rect.bottom

• 16. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

IDK if you literally meant "pre-cooked behaviors" is a Lingo programmers phrase - search didn't find anything relevant. Or you're just saying I shouldn't expect a generic non-custom solution to work for my specific needs?

There aren't many resources still available for Director developers who are still learning their way around, so here are some links from a defunct-but-resurrected site:

Director Online

Director Online

Director Online

Director Online

Director Online

Director Online

Director Online

And the article list: Director Online

(I know they all say "Director Online", but they are separate and distinct links)

• 18. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Thanks. I swapped in those 6 lines and turned off Moveable.

But, get this (x8)

Screen shot 2017-01-10 at 10.53.07 PM.png

• 19. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Thanks for the links. Maybe a little beyond my skill/aspire level but good to know

• 20. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
                                              Ladnarth Level 1

Use the file that Sean posted.

• 21. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?
                                                Ladnarth Level 1

For anyone who might be interested in the code I posted, I have improved the DragAreaSprite behavior to handle more cases and added some comments.  Here ya go...

--  DragAreaSprite

-- Attach this behavior to the sprite that the user will click on to drag a group of sprites.

-- This sprite MUST be in a lower numbered sprite channel than all of the other sprites.

-- i.e. Channel 4 is lower than channel 5.

Property  pMe                  -- this sprite

Property  pGroupSprites    -- the sprites that follow the movement of this sprite

Property  pLastLoc           -- the last location the mouse was at while dragging this sprite

Property  pMoving            -- true/false : Is this sprite being dragged/moved

Property  pBoundingRect  -- the set of sprites that define the bounding rect for the whole group

Property  pStageRect        -- the rect of the stage where top left is zero, zero.

on beginSprite me

pMe = sprite(me.spriteNum)

pBoundingRect = [#left:pMe, #top:pMe, #right:pMe, #bottom:pMe]

pStageRect =rect(0, 0, (the stage).rect.width, (the stage).rect.height)

pGroupSprites = []

pMoving = false

end beginSprite

on mouseDown me

pMoving = true

end  mouseDown

on mouseUp me

pMoving = false

end mouseUp

on mouseUpOutside me

pMoving = false

end mouseUpOutside

on addGroupSprite me, groupSprite

pGroupSprites.add(groupSprite)

-- Determine which sprites define the bounding rect for the group.

if pBoundingRect.left.left > groupSprite.left then pBoundingRect.left = groupSprite

if pBoundingRect.top.top > groupSprite.top then pBoundingRect.top = groupSprite

if pBoundingRect.right.right < groupSprite.right then pBoundingRect.right = groupSprite

if pBoundingRect.bottom.bottom < groupSprite.bottom then pBoundingRect.bottom = groupSprite

end addGroupSprite

on enterFrame me

if  pMoving = false then exit

-- determine how far the mouse has moved

delta = _mouse.mouseLoc - pLastLoc

if delta[1] + pBoundingRect.left.left < pStageRect.left then delta[1] = -pBoundingRect.left.left

if delta[1] + pBoundingRect.right.right > pStageRect.right then delta[1] =  pStageRect.right - pBoundingRect.right.right

if delta[2] + pBoundingRect.top.top < pStageRect.top then delta[2] = -pBoundingRect.top.top

if delta[2] + pBoundingRect.bottom.bottom > pStageRect.bottom then delta[2] = pStageRect.bottom - pBoundingRect.bottom.bottom

-- move all of the sprites a distance of delta.

pMe.loc = pMe.loc + delta

call(#move, pGroupSprites, delta)

-- if the mouse moves outside the stage rect we stop moving because we

-- do not want the user to be able to drag the group off the screen and be lost.

if  not  _mouse.mouseLoc.inside(pStageRect) then pMoving = false

end enterFrame

• 22. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

Great...Look forward to trying it out - but kinda crazy hectic life at the moment.

Before this latest, none posted so far are working as intended for me - close, but not implementable yet. Wish it weren't so, but unfortunately, it is. 

I'm sure all the codes must work fine for you authors but just arent working in my Dir.11 on Mac OS10.6.8 MtnLion, which I can only assume is a Director compatibility issue. LMK if I'm mistaken. I have legacy apps I use with this OS & dont' want to upgrade the OS right now.

Thanks for trying to help me!

• 23. Re: How to make UI nav buttons repositionable as a group?

No-one should use D11 for any production release. It was a beta release at best, and Adobe should be ashamed of themselves for charging for it. At the very least they should have provided a free serial for D11.5 to the unfortunates who parted with cash to own it.