10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 9:11 AM by Peter Grainge

Templates

jim_d Level 1
      I am trying to apply a template in the topic view. I select any number of files from 5 to 100 files. After I apply the template it does not stick. Selecting a smaller number of files seems to work better. Selecting one file at a time never is a problem.

The project does have 2000 files in one directory.

Thoughts?

Using RH7, XPSP2

J
        • 1. Re: Templates
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          I don't know for sure but it looks like you have answered your own question.

• 2. Templates
            Author care Level 2
            If the topics have a template applied already why not alter that and/or the stylesheet?
            • 3. Re: Templates
              jim_d Level 1
              They don't.

I might test the number of files in the directory to see if that makes a difference.
              • 4. Re: Templates
                RoboColum(n) Level 5
                The number of files shouldn't be an issue, although I guess it may depend on exactly how many. Maybe you'd want to try adding the tag below to the meta data in the truecode for each topic. Just use a good find and replace tool. FAR and Bk ReplaceEm are just two. Don't forget to take a backup before doing anything and change templatefilename.htt to the file name of your template.

<meta name="template" content="templatefilename.htt">
                • 5. Re: Templates
                  jim_d Level 1
                  I like the idea. Why not use the find/replace that is in RH?
                  • 6. Re: Templates
                    RoboColum(n) Level 5
                    Have you ever used it? It has rather limited functionality One of the advantages of the tools I mention is that they work across multiple lines of HTML code and provide a lot more flexibility (e.g. text starting with, ending with, containing). Bk ReplaceEm is even freeware!
                    • 7. Re: Templates
                      RoboColum(n) Level 5
                      Thanks to Peter for making me realise that 2000 files in one folder is not good practice. I skipped reading that line ;-) So maybe that is an issue after all.
                      • 8. Re: Templates
                        jim_d Level 1
                        There actually is 3,300 files. It is bad practice because?
                        • 9. Re: Templates
                          RoboColum(n) Level 5
                          Maybe I should have said it is not what I would have done rather than it is bad practice - sorry it is late in the day here! Perhaps I could ask how long the project takes to open with that many topics. I used to maintain a project with 1200+ topics and it took upwards of 10 minutes. It also makes for difficulties with navigation and linking as some RH dialogs are so darn small that you only see a few topics at a time.

With that many files, I consider using merged help and/or using a folder structure inside the project that mirrors the TOC books.
                          • 10. Re: Templates
                            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                            RH keeps track of all files and folders, partly in the CPD file and partly in the FPJ. There is a possibility, no more, that this unusally high number in one folder could corrupt one or the other.

There is no limit in theory to the number of files in a project but when I was splitting up a monster (10,000 files) I found that above 4,000 was not unusable but there was a performance difference. Of course, the machine used will impact on that.

Could you import say twenty topics into a new project and then see if that number will stick there when it would not in this project?