• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[HELP] Photoshop actions not applying to the canvas directly !

Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever i try to do actions like (Bucket tool, Undo, Type tool), those kinds of action are not applying to the canvas directly, and i have to do another action (Moving the object, color something etc) to trigger the changes made by my first action. Why is this happening? How do i fix this ?

Photoshop CC 2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely because you did not craft the actions well or some unanticipated current document state caused the action to fail to work the way you recorded it. Actions often depend on some condition or state. After you record an action you should always expand all the action's steps so, you can see and review all the settings that Photoshop recorded for each step. You should also test you action to make sure it works the way you want it to work. I just recorded a simple one step paint bucket action to contiguously fill with the foreground color.  When I expanded the action I see the Photoshop recorded I click on the tope left corner of the document and the it should fill using the current foreground color but it did record contiguous? So I investigated for me Photoshop records contiguous in a backwards fashion.  If you uncheck continuous in the tool option bar Photoshop will record without contiguous into the action step contiguous is used by default.  So the action step I recorded in was recorded correctly.  So I then tested it and immediately received an error message the command fill was currently was not available??? Looking at the Layers palette I no layer was targeted so I targeted layer 1 played the action and nothing happened so I targeted the background layer and played the action  again nothing happened. So I targeted layer 1 and deselected then played the action and layer 1 was filled with red. I changed the color to green and targeted the background layer played the action and the background layer was green.  But I wanted the action to fill the selection on layer 1. So I select the area targeted layer 1 changed the color to blue and fixed the action to fill the selection. When you fix the action always save the action set so do will not loose your action if you preferences are reset.

Capture.jpg

Example
Download

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, let explain my current situation more clearly,

Here's what im doing with my photoshop,

1st Pic : Nothing, everything looks normal

2nd Pic: I tried to use bucket tool to fill the entire background with red color (Look at the history panel, i actually already did it, but why isn't the canvas take effect ?)

3rd Pic: Ok let me try something, i tried to move the color (Now there is the red color i've been waiting for).

4th Pic: Now, let me try something else, i use marque tool to draw a rect, and fill it with blue color, but still nothing.. even when the history recorded my action

5th Pic: Let's move it (same condition as 3rd pic)

6th pic: Now, let me marquee it, and delete it. (still.. nothing happen)

7th pic: This time, i clicked on Lasso Tool (boom, the blue color is gone).

Untitled-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are not doing is expanding you actions so you can see what options and setting have been recorded for your action steps. You do not know what you recorded  you only know the type of steps you recorded. You do not know what the steps actually do.  You need to examine the steps  details to see if you recorded what you wanted to record. You will never be good at recording actions if you do not examine and test your actions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are saying doesn't make sense, or I am not understanding you right. I have the same problem. We are not trying to "record" any actions. The action we perform is put in the history panel alright, but it is not reflected on the screen until we click something else.

1. Open a blank canvas with white background

2. Draw something onto it.

3. Create a new layer over it.

4. Delete the below layer.

5. You would expect it to transparent (gray white checkers), NO! the drawing is still there.

6. Put the brush on the canvas, just a dot, the deletion happens now.

Another scenario is just like the OP said

1. Open a blank canvas.

2. Fill it with a solid color. It doesn't show on the screen i.e. it still has the old background

3. Click, click, click, click and few many more times, nothing gets reflected.

4. Switch to brush, voila! there is the long expected filling action.

Another one.

1. Open a blank canvas.

2. Make a stroke.

3. Press Ctrl+Z

4. You'd expect the stroke to go poof, NOOOO!! its still effing there.

5. Put the brush on the canvas .. the Ctrl+Z takes effect!

One more to go:

1. Open a blank canvas.

2. Draw something.

3. Ctrl+A, the marquee doesn't come up

4. Put the brush down, the marquee comes up

5. Press Del, doesn't get reflected ... bang on the Del key 50 times! still nothing!!

6. Switch to some other tool, BOOM everything disappeared ..

I tried disabling GPU rendering, reducing monitor frequency, changing the monitor, disabling OpenGl, Anti Aliasing, and whatnot, restarted ton of times. no changes. Mind you, I got the Photoshop only yesterday, after getting Win10 few months ago, haven't touched a hair in the software. Googled the issue, seems like OP is only guy besides me to face this problem ...

System specs:

Intel i5 4690K

2x GTX 1070, running in non SLI, with both monitor and tablet plugged to the first GPU

Driver version: 375.63

Please, if you have ideas, share with us!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are recording what you write. Show you actions.  I recorded you first action.  I then singes step through it and captured each steps execution.  It worked perfectly.  Here is the screen capture. Show you action. You can see mine in the action palette and the step to be executed. The result in the layers palette and image window. Action works are recorded.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all respect .. we are not working with Actions, we are not recording actions, we are not trying to replay recorded actions, we are not doing anything with "Actions"!!

Our problem is simple: do something, its not reflected on screen until you do something else. Thats all ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Windows 10 system Photoshop UI Cs6 through  CC 2017  work properly. If I use the paintBucket with the foreground color red the area i click on is filled with red.  I do not have to do anything else to see the area be filled.  Do you have any third party pligins installed or any script events triggering set up

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sir, as I mentioned, it is a clean install after a clean OS install. I did not have this issue few months ago, with Photoshop CC 2016. Nor have I ever faced this kind of issue with previous installations. I got the CC software to install it just yesterday and it installed the 2017 version. So no additional plugins or modifications done to the software. At least thats just me, not sure about OP.

frendyg31340307 do you have same kind of setup as me? Can you please comment on that.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use windows. I have Window 10 preview build an Microsoft normal release installed Two system have Intel xeonss one a dual processor machine the other a single xeon.  on as a Quadro 4000 the other a quadro k2200.  The third machine is a Microsoft Surface pro 3 with an I7 processor with Intel 5000 HD graphics.  have some third party plug-ins  no script events triggering Actions or scripts.  Photoshop works correctly. with

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue, does photoshop have a 2016 version???

Edusbaze.com - Education portal portal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines