10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2016 8:02 PM by turner111

Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?

turner111 Level 1

Hi all-

Fairly new to Lightroom, so I am not sure what to search for this. (What I did search came up with 10 zillion unrelated posts )

Anyway, my son shot a bunch of "black and white" photos in RAW using a Nikon D5500.

They import fine, and appear black and white - until viewed, then the preview reverts to showing the color information.

Any way to keep the shots appearing black and white?

thanks,

Andrew

• 1. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
          dj_paige Level 9

RAW photos are always color in Lightroom. This is normal behavior, first Lightroom shows you the JPG preview which is black and white (if you set the camera to take black and white) and then once Lightroom has the time to render the RAW. There is no way to turn this off.

If you want B&W, you can either shoot JPG, or use the manufacturer's software, or use Lightroom to turn the colored photo into B&W.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Let me start with RAW is RAW. What you are seeing when first imported and viewed in the Film strip is the embedded JPG inside all RAW files. That JPG follows the in camera settings, this case B&W. The RAW data does not follow in camera settings, at least not in LR for Nikon cameras. If viewed with the Nikon supplied software they might show as B&W, Not sure haven't used a Nikon in 9+ years or the software Nikon supplies.

What LR sees is the RAW sensor data, which from a color sensor, will be in color.

Once viewed LR builds it own Preview image which will also be in color.

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
              turner111 Level 1

Thanks guys-

Well, that's disappointing. I understand that RAW is RAW, but Lightroom shouldn't automatically convert a preview without prompting.

One of the reasons for wanting this is because my son (who just got this camera) is learning, and has been shooting fully manual, but in both color and "black and white"; without this reference, is there any reference in Lightroom as to which photos he intentionally shot in black and white?

That said, I believe Apple's Photos does the same thing.

• 4. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
                dj_paige Level 9

Well, that's disappointing. I understand that RAW is RAW, but Lightroom shouldn't automatically convert a preview without prompting.

But it does, it always has done this, and if you want software that doesn't do this, use the camera manufacturer's software.

One of the reasons for wanting this is because my son (who just got this camera) is learning, and has been shooting fully manual, but in both color and "black and white"; without this reference, is there any reference in Lightroom as to which photos he intentionally shot in black and white?

Not that I know of, but I haven't looked very hard for this either. Again, use the manufacturer's software, it solves your problem.

• 5. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
                  turner111 Level 1

What I'm going to do is send Adobe a feature request.

• 6. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
                    dj_paige Level 9

Well, you're certainly welcome to send Adobe a request ... However if I may be so bold and impertinent as to inject reality into the discussion ... let me point out that Lightroom has always done this, it has been hotly debated over the years, and Adobe has not changed this behavior. And furthermore, I think the request runs against a basic premise of Lightroom, that is to let you start the editing from scratch, and to not try to emulate the in-camera modification you are applying.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

turner111 wrote:

What I'm going to do is send Adobe a feature request.

To add to what dj_paige said, the chance of Adobe changing this behavior is nil.   If you want to have the JPG rendition than just shoot JPG or better yet JPG+RAW if your camera supports it.  Converting a color RAW to B&W in Lightroom is a WAY better option than shooting a B&W JPG as you are throwing away a lot of data where you can simulate the use of color filters like using B&W film and a lot of other things. 

• 8. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
                        wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Disappointment is easily overcome-

1. In the library grid mode- press CTRL+A  to select All photos

2. Press V

All the photos are now B&W.

Or you can do a better conversion in the Develop module by clicking B&W on the header of the HSL/Color/B&W panel.

Why do I see my images change after they are imported into Lightroom? | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and T…

• 9. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have already expressed your concern about this on Photoshop.com. That is the forum that the engineers  monitor closely. But like I told you there, if the image has to be in black and white then your son should shoot JPEG. Since every camera maker stores their settings differently, they have to be ignored. It's the nature of the beast when working with raw images.

• 10. Re: Raw photos in-camera b/w show color once viewed?
                            turner111 Level 1

Hi Jim,

Actually, I posted in this forum first.

We'll work around it - probably start by trying to figure out if the Nikon software will allow us to add keywords or some other metadata that can then be successfully imported into Lightroom.\

Thanks all.