6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2006 3:48 PM by Newsgroup_User

xmlbuddy (eclipse 3.1 mod)

Level 7
      XML Buddy (www.xmlbuddy.com) is an Eclipse 3.1 mod. It provided a syntax
      driven editor for xml, pretty print, formatting, syntax coloring, etc.

Would it seem to be safe to install this on Flex Builder 2?

(obviously you can't guarantee that 3rd party software works, but does this
      raise large red flags?).

• 1. Re: xmlbuddy (eclipse 3.1 mod)
          Level 7
          Basically, xmlbuddy is an eclipse plug-in. The install process is to just
          unzip the directory and place it in the eclipse plug in's directory. Eclipse
          is supposed to notice the new plug-in.

This does not happen with FlexBuilder. I even tried starting FlexBuilder
          with the -clean flag.

"Yechezkal Gutfreund" <sgutfreund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
          news:e4g1v7$7i9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > XML Buddy (www.xmlbuddy.com) is an Eclipse 3.1 mod. It provided a syntax
          > driven editor for xml, pretty print, formatting, syntax coloring, etc.
          >
          > Would it seem to be safe to install this on Flex Builder 2?
          >
          > (obviously you can't guarantee that 3rd party software works, but does
          > this raise large red flags?).
          >
          >
          >

• 2. Re: xmlbuddy (eclipse 3.1 mod)
            Level 7
            With the plug-in version, Flex Builder is a set of Eclipse plug-ins. You
            may install any additional Eclipse plug-ins that you wish, such as other
            editors or compilers.

I think it would be safe to install XML Buddy.

-- Greg Dow
            -- Adobe Flex Builder

Yechezkal Gutfreund wrote:
            > XML Buddy (www.xmlbuddy.com) is an Eclipse 3.1 mod. It provided a syntax
            > driven editor for xml, pretty print, formatting, syntax coloring, etc.
            >
            > Would it seem to be safe to install this on Flex Builder 2?
            >
            > (obviously you can't guarantee that 3rd party software works, but does this
            > raise large red flags?).
            >
            >
            >
            • 3. Re: xmlbuddy (eclipse 3.1 mod)
              Level 7
              Are you having trouble installing Flex Builder?

You need to run the Flex Builder installer, where you can choose to
              install the stand-alone or plug-in version. If you choose the plug-in
              version, the wizard will prompt you to select an Eclipse folder in which
              to install.

Flex Builder is composed of several plug-ins and auxiliary files.
              Unzipping and manually placing files would be difficult. The installer
              makes sure everything goes in the right place.

-- Greg Dow
              -- Adobe Flex Builder

> Basically, xmlbuddy is an eclipse plug-in. The install process is to just
              > unzip the directory and place it in the eclipse plug in's directory. Eclipse
              > is supposed to notice the new plug-in.
              >
              > This does not happen with FlexBuilder. I even tried starting FlexBuilder
              > with the -clean flag.
              >
              >
              > "Yechezkal Gutfreund" <sgutfreund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
              > news:e4g1v7$7i9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> XML Buddy (www.xmlbuddy.com) is an Eclipse 3.1 mod. It provided a syntax
              >> driven editor for xml, pretty print, formatting, syntax coloring, etc.
              >>
              >> Would it seem to be safe to install this on Flex Builder 2?
              >>
              >> (obviously you can't guarantee that 3rd party software works, but does
              >> this raise large red flags?).
              >>
              >>
              >>
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: xmlbuddy (eclipse 3.1 mod)
                Level 7
                No problems installing FlexBuilder. I chose the stand-alone version.

I notice that it created a subdirectory for plug-ins. (FlexBuilder beta
                3/plugins).

What I tried to do is add a plug-in for XMLBuddy (it comes as a zip
                directory called: com.objectory.xmleditor).
                I figured this was safe. The XML Buddy folks say that sometimes Eclipse 3.1
                systems don't automatically notice new plugins. So I restarted FlexBuilder
                (even with the -clean command line tag) But it still does not add the XML
                menu bar item.

"Gregory Dow" <ghd@aol.com> wrote in message
                news:e4gc1d$ir8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Are you having trouble installing Flex Builder?
                >
                > You need to run the Flex Builder installer, where you can choose to
                > install the stand-alone or plug-in version. If you choose the plug-in
                > version, the wizard will prompt you to select an Eclipse folder in which
                > to install.
                >
                > Flex Builder is composed of several plug-ins and auxiliary files.
                > Unzipping and manually placing files would be difficult. The installer
                > makes sure everything goes in the right place.
                >
                > -- Greg Dow
                > -- Adobe Flex Builder
                >
                > Yechezkal Gutfreund wrote:
                >> Basically, xmlbuddy is an eclipse plug-in. The install process is to just
                >> unzip the directory and place it in the eclipse plug in's directory.
                >> Eclipse is supposed to notice the new plug-in.
                >>
                >> This does not happen with FlexBuilder. I even tried starting FlexBuilder
                >> with the -clean flag.
                >>
                >>
                >> "Yechezkal Gutfreund" <sgutfreund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
                >> news:e4g1v7$7i9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>> XML Buddy (www.xmlbuddy.com) is an Eclipse 3.1 mod. It provided a syntax
                >>> driven editor for xml, pretty print, formatting, syntax coloring, etc.
                >>>
                >>> Would it seem to be safe to install this on Flex Builder 2?
                >>>
                >>> (obviously you can't guarantee that 3rd party software works, but does
                >>> this raise large red flags?).
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>

• 5. Re: xmlbuddy (eclipse 3.1 mod)
                  Level 7
                  I installed XMLBuddy 2.0.72 into the latest version of FlexBuilder
                  standalone. The folder called "com.objfac.xmleditor_2.0.72" is inside
                  the folder called "plugins".

After re-launching FlexBuilder, I noticed that there is no XML menu, as
                  you reported. However, the XMLBuddy plugin is installed...
                  - when I do Help > About Adobe Flex Builder 2 > Plugin Details, the
                  display includes XMLBuddy
                  - when I do File > New > Other, there is a category XML, which is
                  provided by XMLBuddy
                  - when I open an .xml file for editing, the XML menu appears. It
                  disappears again when I close the file

Could you try the above, and let me know if you are successfull?

Mark Shepherd
                  FlexBuilder Engineering

> No problems installing FlexBuilder. I chose the stand-alone version.
                  >
                  > I notice that it created a subdirectory for plug-ins. (FlexBuilder beta
                  > 3/plugins).
                  >
                  > What I tried to do is add a plug-in for XMLBuddy (it comes as a zip
                  > directory called: com.objectory.xmleditor).
                  > I figured this was safe. The XML Buddy folks say that sometimes Eclipse 3.1
                  > systems don't automatically notice new plugins. So I restarted FlexBuilder
                  > (even with the -clean command line tag) But it still does not add the XML
                  > menu bar item.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > "Gregory Dow" <ghd@aol.com> wrote in message
                  > news:e4gc1d$ir8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> Are you having trouble installing Flex Builder?
                  >>
                  >> You need to run the Flex Builder installer, where you can choose to
                  >> install the stand-alone or plug-in version. If you choose the plug-in
                  >> version, the wizard will prompt you to select an Eclipse folder in which
                  >> to install.
                  >>
                  >> Flex Builder is composed of several plug-ins and auxiliary files.
                  >> Unzipping and manually placing files would be difficult. The installer
                  >> makes sure everything goes in the right place.
                  >>
                  >> -- Greg Dow
                  >> -- Adobe Flex Builder
                  >>
                  >> Yechezkal Gutfreund wrote:
                  >>> Basically, xmlbuddy is an eclipse plug-in. The install process is to just
                  >>> unzip the directory and place it in the eclipse plug in's directory.
                  >>> Eclipse is supposed to notice the new plug-in.
                  >>>
                  >>> This does not happen with FlexBuilder. I even tried starting FlexBuilder
                  >>> with the -clean flag.
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>> "Yechezkal Gutfreund" <sgutfreund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
                  >>> news:e4g1v7$7i9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>>> XML Buddy (www.xmlbuddy.com) is an Eclipse 3.1 mod. It provided a syntax
                  >>>> driven editor for xml, pretty print, formatting, syntax coloring, etc.
                  >>>>
                  >>>> Would it seem to be safe to install this on Flex Builder 2?
                  >>>>
                  >>>> (obviously you can't guarantee that 3rd party software works, but does
                  >>>> this raise large red flags?).
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >
                  • 6. Re: xmlbuddy (eclipse 3.1 mod)
                    Level 7
                    I followed your directions in the other post, and it now works fine. All
                    these tests worked also.

"Mark Shepherd" <mshepher@adobe.com> wrote in message
                    news:e4ih43$fii$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I installed XMLBuddy 2.0.72 into the latest version of FlexBuilder
                    >standalone. The folder called "com.objfac.xmleditor_2.0.72" is inside the
                    >folder called "plugins".
                    >
                    > After re-launching FlexBuilder, I noticed that there is no XML menu, as
                    > you reported. However, the XMLBuddy plugin is installed...
                    > - when I do Help > About Adobe Flex Builder 2 > Plugin Details, the
                    > display includes XMLBuddy
                    > - when I do File > New > Other, there is a category XML, which is provided
                    > by XMLBuddy
                    > - when I open an .xml file for editing, the XML menu appears. It
                    > disappears again when I close the file
                    >
                    > Could you try the above, and let me know if you are successfull?
                    >
                    > Mark Shepherd
                    > FlexBuilder Engineering
                    >
                    >
                    > Yechezkal Gutfreund wrote:
                    >> No problems installing FlexBuilder. I chose the stand-alone version.
                    >>
                    >> I notice that it created a subdirectory for plug-ins. (FlexBuilder beta
                    >> 3/plugins).
                    >>
                    >> What I tried to do is add a plug-in for XMLBuddy (it comes as a zip
                    >> directory called: com.objectory.xmleditor).
                    >> I figured this was safe. The XML Buddy folks say that sometimes Eclipse
                    >> 3.1 systems don't automatically notice new plugins. So I restarted
                    >> FlexBuilder (even with the -clean command line tag) But it still does not
                    >> add the XML menu bar item.
                    >>
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> "Gregory Dow" <ghd@aol.com> wrote in message
                    >> news:e4gc1d$ir8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>> Are you having trouble installing Flex Builder?
                    >>>
                    >>> You need to run the Flex Builder installer, where you can choose to
                    >>> install the stand-alone or plug-in version. If you choose the plug-in
                    >>> version, the wizard will prompt you to select an Eclipse folder in which
                    >>> to install.
                    >>>
                    >>> Flex Builder is composed of several plug-ins and auxiliary files.
                    >>> Unzipping and manually placing files would be difficult. The installer
                    >>> makes sure everything goes in the right place.
                    >>>
                    >>> -- Greg Dow
                    >>> -- Adobe Flex Builder
                    >>>
                    >>> Yechezkal Gutfreund wrote:
                    >>>> Basically, xmlbuddy is an eclipse plug-in. The install process is to
                    >>>> just unzip the directory and place it in the eclipse plug in's
                    >>>> directory. Eclipse is supposed to notice the new plug-in.
                    >>>>
                    >>>> This does not happen with FlexBuilder. I even tried starting
                    >>>> FlexBuilder with the -clean flag.
                    >>>>
                    >>>>
                    >>>> "Yechezkal Gutfreund" <sgutfreund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
                    >>>> news:e4g1v7$7i9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>>>> XML Buddy (www.xmlbuddy.com) is an Eclipse 3.1 mod. It provided a
                    >>>>> syntax driven editor for xml, pretty print, formatting, syntax
                    >>>>> coloring, etc.
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>> Would it seem to be safe to install this on Flex Builder 2?
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>> (obviously you can't guarantee that 3rd party software works, but does
                    >>>>> this raise large red flags?).
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>>
                    >>