6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 4:21 PM by henryl44573086

I want to see catalogue file in different folder

henryl44573086

I very new to Adobe products so really just starting out. Did my first catalogue a couple of days ago. I am using all photos for just personal and the family.

However one file I worked on in PS is now is different folder through deliberate actions. I would like to see it will other session shots.

To expalin:

After import to catalogue I decided to work on 1 file in PS. But as I did not want PS to alter original RAW image, I exported it with a new file name as a dng file to a work directory. After completion in PS I exported the final as a jpeg to my normal photo directory with the rest of our jpegs. All good there.

I then went to LR and imported the altered PS file (it had a different name). This is where I want to change. I can see the file in the catalogue and it is where the file should be - I don't know why I was expecting something different. I just did not think that through.

Anyhow I can only see that altered file when I go to that directory and while I remember now that will not be the case in future. I really want to see it with the other files taken on the same subject which are obviously in the directory that I exported the renamed file from (as a dng file) in the 1st place. I am not sure what I will keep which is why I want to move the library view.

Is there a way to move the library view of file so that I see it with the rest of the files on that subject?

• 1. Re: I want to see catalogue file in different folder
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are going to a lot of work to prevent a problem that doesn't really exist. When an image is sent from Lightroom to Photoshop  the version that opens in Photoshop includes all of the adjustments made in Lightroom. But when you finish your work in Photoshop it will automatically save a new copy of the image that includes all of the Photoshop adjustments, and will put that copy back in the same folder with the original. That copy will either be a TIF or PSD file, depending on how you have configured your external editor options in the Lightroom preferences.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I want to see catalogue file in different folder
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

You should do some reading and research into how Lightroom works because you are doing things the hard way.

To edit a raw file in Photoshop-

1. Select  (highlight) the file in the Lightroom Library grid view

2. Press CTRL+E  (or right-click the file and select "Edit in Photoshop")

3. Do all the edits in Ps

4. "Save" the file in Ps.  (Do NOT use "Save As" or change names or locations.)  (I simply Ctrl+S to save, then CTRL+W to close.)

5. Click back on  Lightroom.

Your edited Photoshop image will now be back in Lightroom library, in the same folder, with a file name like "originalname-edit.tiff" for example, and if sort order is "Filename" then it will sit exactly beside the original in the grid view.

• 3. Re: I want to see catalogue file in different folder
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

henryl44573086 wrote:

Is there a way to move the library view of file so that I see it with the rest of the files on that subject?

From inside the Library module select the image you want to move.

Open the Folders panel so that you can see the folder you want to move the image to.

Clicking on the center of the image thumbnail, drag and drop the image to the folder you want it in.

The other two posts do a good job at explaining the easy way to do an "edit in photoshop".

• 4. Re: I want to see catalogue file in different folder
                henryl44573086 Level 1

Thanks Joe. That was what I needed.

Thanks to other replies to how it may be done which is appreciated. I am being cautious I know about how and what I do in these early stages and may be going the long way - which in learning stages I am happy with.

One of the main reasons in the way I tackled it, was through my reading (I tried to do a fair amount of research even prior to creating any catalogue) I was led to believe that PS was not like LR and the changes done via PS did change the original file i.e. that are not, non-destructive. This was what I was not willing to let happen at this point. Maybe what I read is not correct.

• 5. Re: I want to see catalogue file in different folder
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom is a 'raw parametric' editor- it does not alter  your raw photos.

Photoshop is a 'Pixel' editor- It only works with pixel images (psd, tiff, jpg, etc) Editing done in Ps alters the pixels in the photo, but it is a 'new' file that is created separate from the original raw image file.

When you select a raw photo file and "Edit in Photoshop" a new pixel file is created automatically in Photoshop (as in my Post#2 above), without you having to manually export a file from Lr.