Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can no longer select text in layout view

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I can no longer select text in the standard layout view; instead, the text frame itself moves.

Please see the below for a screen-captured example:

Screen Recording 2016-12-12 at 12.34 pm.gif

I can still select and edit text in the Story Editor. I'm not sure if I've accidently enabled a setting, or what. I would much appreciate the ability to be able to edit text quickly in the Layout view.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any advice / help!

iMac 12,1 (Mid 2011)

macOS Sierra 10.12.1
InDesign CC 2017 (12.0.0.81)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

FIXED

Somehow, the behavior has returned to normal. I'm still unsure what happened, but the problem started with a specific file; upon deleting preferences, then closing and reopening that file, I was able to select text again in the layout view (across all files).

Very strange; I hope this was simply a minor bug, and that this post helps resolve the problem for others. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Not good. Why don't you start by deleting preferences?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Is it just that one file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it’s only this file, I would export to IDML. No sense trashing prefs for one corrupt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED

Somehow, the behavior has returned to normal. I'm still unsure what happened, but the problem started with a specific file; upon deleting preferences, then closing and reopening that file, I was able to select text again in the layout view (across all files).

Very strange; I hope this was simply a minor bug, and that this post helps resolve the problem for others. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

upon deleting preferences, then closing and reopening that file, I was able to select text again

Great! I'm glad deleting preferences fixed it for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines