16 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2006 6:44 PM by Newsgroup_User

Box around Flash in Website

ChuckRWD
      All the flash work I've designed, when I open up a site where the element is, a box is around the flash....what is this box? If I click on the box, it disappears. If i put my mouse over the flash, that box appears around the flash. Is there a way I can fix this is or is it a setting n my browser and/or flash player? Here is an example: http://bradyallmondds.com/. Place your mouse over the header, and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks, Guys and Gals!

Chuck
        • 1. Re: Box around Flash in Website
          mrBallistic-adobe
          yes. stop using ie.

short of that, look for 'swfobject', which gets around the problem.
          • 2. Re: Box around Flash in Website
            Level 7
            http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/?q=active%20&content

--
            -------------------------------
            Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail
            -------------------------------

• 3. Re: Box around Flash in Website
              Rubrage
              Check this forum:- Easy fix for IEUpdate ActiveX problems.

It sorted me right out! Just got to update many HTML pages now.
              • 4. Box around Flash in Website
                rprevost-C0WLuz
                That box around the Flash movies is an overlay box. It is caused by the latest Security Patch Upgrade from Microsoft. It instals into IE as security measure against ALL ActiveX controls (Flash, Authorware, Java Applest, Window Media Player). When your mouse hovers over a Flash piece, the security messages says "Click to activate this control." Then the box goes away. But you now need to do that on every single page that requires user interaction. Annoying. I also think this new security patch is what is causing so many users to have issues installing the Flash Player. Not to mention the fact that the players are now being bundled with the Yahoo toolbar. Another significant annoyance, and down right rude.
                • 5. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                  Level 7
                  the yahoo bundle started close to 2 years ago - i never hear anyone complain or flame about it here
                  in this forum except for about 2 weeks after it was bundled way back when. Out of all my clients who
                  have upgraded their players, not one has mentioned it or even seen it as an option (it is now always
                  an option depending on how the upgrade is performed).

not saying it is any less of an annoyance - just saying it is not something new.

--> Adobe Certified Expert *ACE*
                  --> www.mudbubble.com
                  --> www.keyframer.com

rprevost wrote:
                  > That box around the Flash movies is an overlay box. It is caused by the latest
                  > Security Patch Upgrade from Microsoft. It instals into IE as security measure
                  > against ALL ActiveX controls (Flash, Authorware, Java Applest, Window Media
                  > Player). When your mouse hovers over a Flash piecs, the security messages says
                  > "Click to activate this control." Then the box goes away. But you now need to
                  > do that on every single page that requires user interaction. Annoying. I also
                  > think this new security patch is what is causing so many users to have issues
                  > installing the Flash Player. Not to mention the fact that the players are now
                  > being bundled with the Yahoo toolbar. Another significant annoyance, and down
                  > right rude.
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                    Level 7
                    rprevost;
                    Fwiw the active x/ie update was not in response to any security
                    issue--it was a respnse to a patent lawsuit... -Tom Unger

• 7. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                      BornfreeNZ
                      Dam.. I am not sure what to do now as I have the same problem.
                      I created a website highcliffproperties and seem to have the problem when trying to navigate as you need to click on the icon 2X to navigate.
                      What should I do.??

How do you all get around this problem?
                      • 8. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                        Level 7
                        basically - search - google and this forum for "active content" - there's a wealth of information
                        and on-going discussions across the web and this forum.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
                        --> www.mudbubble.com
                        --> www.keyframer.com

CADstudioNZ wrote:
                        > Dam.. I am not sure what to do now as I have the same problem.
                        > I created a website <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
                        > href=" http://www.highcliffproperties.co.nz/">highcliffproperties</a> and seem
                        > to have the problem when trying to navigate as you need to click on the icon 2X
                        > to navigate.
                        > What should I do.??
                        >
                        > How do you all get around this problem?
                        >
                        • 9. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                          BornfreeNZ Level 1
                          Thanks Chris but I am more confused now than I was before..

I have read over the information a few times and tried testing the page..

This is were I am having a problem.
                          It says on page http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html

Under:
                          External JavaScript Solution Two: For Multiple Occurrences of Embedded Content
                          -----
                          Run “Apply Active Content Update” from the Commands menu. This copies AC_RunActiveContent.js to the HTML output folder (the folder containing your published SWF file and the HTML template). You only need to perform this action once per folder.
                          -----

However I dont have this option. See attached screen shot of my flash.
                          http://www.highcliffproperties.co.nz/screenshot2.jpg
                          Am I doing some thing wrong?

• 10. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                            Level 7
                            less confusing .. see http://activecontent.blogspot.com
                            --
                            Jeckyl

• 11. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                              BornfreeNZ Level 1
                              Thanks JECKL

I did exactly what was mentioned in your link and still have the same problem.
                              You can check the link. http://www.highcliffproperties.co.nz/links5.html

I created a ieupdate.js file and copied it to the public folder.
                              I then changed the html as per your link - view in the above links source code.

This is driving me nuts..

I would appreciate any help.
                              • 12. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                                Level 7
                                It would help if you'd followed the instructions .. this is what you have

<object classid="clsid 27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
                                codebase=" http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0"
                                width="800" height="150">
                                <param name="movie" value="images/introbanner.swf">
                                <param name="quality" value="high">
                                <embed src="images/introbanner.swf" quality="high"
                                pluginspage=" http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
                                type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="800" height="150"></embed>
                                <script type="text/javascript">startIeFix();</script>
                                </object>

Did you not see that you put that line BEFORE the <object> tag .. not inside
                                it .. and that you need the call to endIeFix etc immediately after?

It doens't take much to see that what you have is not what should be there.
                                --
                                Jeckyl

• 13. Box around Flash in Website
                                  BornfreeNZ Level 1
                                  Had a look through and noticed I left the "<script type="text/javascript">startIeFix();</script>" inside the body.
                                  I have removed it and saved it. It still does not seem to work.

I have 2x SWF files in this html.
                                  According to the link it says I need to place the script before and after both (body) .. I have done that..

I have resaved the file as http://www.highcliffproperties.co.nz/links7.html

Can you see where I have the problem in this html?

I have also tried a very short HTML - http://www.highcliffproperties.co.nz/test10.html
                                  This has the same problem.. Could it be the .js file that is not correct?
                                  I have it in saved in the public folder.

• 14. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                                    Level 7
                                    your .js file looks like this:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang5129{\fonttbl{\f0\froman\fcharset0
                                    Times New Roman;}{\f1\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;}}
                                    {\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1507;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\sb100\sa100\f0\fs24
                                    var bo_ns_id = 0;\line\line function startIeFix()\{\line if(isIE())\{\line
                                    document.write('<div id="bo_ns_id_' + bo_ns_id + '"><!--
                                    ');\line\}\line\}\line\line function endIeFix()\{\line if(isIE())\{\line
                                    document.write('</div>');\line var theObject =
                                    document.getElementById("bo_ns_id_" + bo_ns_id++);\line var theCode =
                                    theObject.innerHTML;\line theCode = theCode.substring(4
                                    ,9+theCode.indexOf("</object>"))\line
                                    document.write(theCode);\line\}\line\}\line\line function isIE()\{\line //
                                    only for Win IE 6+\line // But not in Windows 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000\line var
                                    strBrwsr= navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();\line
                                    if(strBrwsr.indexOf("msie") > -1 && strBrwsr.indexOf("mac") < 0)\{\line
                                    if(parseInt(strBrwsr.charAt(strBrwsr.indexOf("msie")+5)) < 6)\{\line return
                                    false;\line\}\line if(strBrwsr.indexOf("win98") > -1 ||\line
                                    strBrwsr.indexOf("win 9x 4.90") > -1 ||\line strBrwsr.indexOf("winnt4.0")
                                    > -1 ||\line strBrwsr.indexOf("windows nt 5.0") > -1)\line\{\line return
                                    false;\line\}\line return true;\line\}else\{\line return
                                    false;\line\}\line\}\par
                                    \pard\f1\fs20\par
                                    }

There seems to be a lot of extra stuff in there that would make it not be
                                    valid javascript. It hsould just be a plain text file.
                                    --
                                    Jeckyl

• 15. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                                      BornfreeNZ Level 1
                                      YEEHAAA... it works.

Thanks Jeckyl ..
                                      I checked through the .js file and for some reason the script had changed.
                                      Now I need to update all the pages... grrr. but at least it works.
                                      Well stoked.. Thanks
                                      • 16. Re: Box around Flash in Website
                                        Level 7
                                        > YEEHAAA... it works.

Your Welcome