1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 10:09 PM by Beady

    ADE no longer works, two errors and a whole bunch of other garbage

    Beady

      It's such a long story that I don't know where to start and it's all starting to blur together, so I'll do my best here. I was originally using ADE 2.0, which I've been using since March of 2013 with few errors. I started with OpenLibrary (had no library card) and then two years ago moved to a place where I had a library card. Had few errors, a couple of instances of "E_STREAM_ERROR:", but they cleared up on their own and were only momentary.

       

      Toward the end of October I was reading an ebook I'd borrowed from my local library. Got toward the middle and it seemed to freeze. It didn't really freeze. The book just kept going slowly. It got "stuck."  It took forever to go from the book to my library. I left the book in my library (as long as it wasn't accessed, it wasn't problematic) and sent an email to my library via Overdrive on 11/1. No response. I removed the book from my library, re-downloaded it, still the same problem. Sent a second email after several days to my library. No response.

       

      I called. No response. Called again. No response.

       

      On 11/16, more than two weeks after initial attempt to contact the library tech, I was at the library, so I spoke to the tech on duty. He's been trying to help. He contacted Overdrive and forwarded their response. ADE 2.0 still working fine, just not with that ONE book. Had a few other books in my library that were working fine.

       

      Overdrive advised upgrading ADE. That's where the real trouble started. Installed 4.5.2, per their instructions. (By then, the defective book had expired.) ADE 4.5.2 had a completely messed up display. Only the left-facing page showed, the bottom was truncated, and maximizing the window only made it larger, but did not show the missing bottom of the screen or the missing right-facing page. I turned one page, thinking that would at least show the right-facing page and it turned...22 pages at once. CLEARLY, I cannot read a book with ADE 4.5.2 unless I just want to read the occasional page.

       

      I uninstalled ADE 4.5.2, which obviously was incompatible with my computer. I re-installed 2.0. It no longer worked.

       

      I then had this error:

      Unable to download

      Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem:

      E_STREAM_ERROR:

      and ultimately after trying 2.0, 3.0, 2.0 again, blah, blah, blah, this error:

      Connection Error Detected

      Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet.

       

      I should have known better about following any more of Overdrive's horrible advice, but I did (I was tired, not thinking clearly). They said to clear my temporary Internet files in my browser, but never said anything about BACKING UP FILES. Holy crap, my computer (which is ancient) is now all messed up, too. Now all of the things I've carefully tweaked in my browser for 8+ years so this thing works exactly as I need it to with a minimum of wear and tear to keep my computer eking along until I can buy a new one are GONE. No way to bring any of it back. My computer is slow and can't get out of its own way fast enough. I'm not thrilled with Overdrive. It was wrong for them to have me install a newer ADE, which is what is causing this new problem, and it was wrong for them to have advice to remove temporary Internet files with NO BACKUP INSTRUCTIONS.

       

      I have uninstalled, reinstalled, changed versions, removed authorization, re-authorized, and still NOTHING WORKS.

       

      I spent 3 hours on the phone today with Overdrive, and nothing will fix the latest error, which was this one:

      Connection Error Detected

      Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet.

      They finally told me to contact Adobe. Adobe won't help, so all I can do is post a message here and hope someone can tell me what to do to clear this up. Or am I going to be without ebooks because Overdrive sent bad info? I repeat, ADE 2.0 worked FINE until it was removed and reinstalled. PERFECTLY FINE, with only the occasional error. There was no need to install another version.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say. It wasn't broke, their idiotic advice, their unnecessary workarounds fixed NOTHING. Now I can't do ANYTHING with ADE because of that Connection Error.

       

      In all, I've been waiting almost a full month and a half over this problem. Can someone PLEASE put me out of my misery and tell me how to at least fix this thing that has become my problem, when my original problem was a single defective ebook?

       

      Thank you in advance.

        • 1. Re: ADE no longer works, two errors and a whole bunch of other garbage
          Beady Level 1

          A bit more info:

          I contacted Overdrive's tech again since posting. Via email, she referred me back to Adobe. Adobe does not support this product, though Overdrive claims they do; this forum is the only support for ADE. Overdrive offers a one-time-only remote viewing of someone's computer, and that's it. (I've been in this business too long to allow anyone to poke around on my computer.)

           

          Overdrive caused this problem with terrible one-size-doesn't-really-fit-all advice, and short of buying a new computer, which isn't in the budget, I no longer have access to ebooks. Unless someone has a magical solution, that's it. Overdrive gave bad info, useless workarounds that only exacerbated the problems, messed up my browser, and now they're cutting me loose with nothing, no help, no fix, just pass the buck to a company that offers NO support for their product.