Did this ever work? Frankly, with RH9 and Chrome, I'd be surprised that any WebHelp displayed properly (what with all the browser security changes that have taken place). Is it behaving with any other browsers?
I'm not supposed to use Chrome?
The TOC works a tiny bit better perhaps on Firefox 50.0.2, but it's still buggy.
The TOC won't appear at all on IE11.
What should I use?
Is the problem with RH9? Is that version obsolete or something?
P.S. Note: I'm not just opening it up off my desktop. I'm using HM2GO for a server.
Way obsolete - 3 versions back now (sorry to break the news to you) - RH10, RH11 and now RH2015 is the current one.
Wow. Good to know. Thanks!
Was this translation process ever working for you? Or is this the first time doing it?
I just got word back from our client that they also use RH9, so I don't think this is the problem in this case. Any other ideas?
Well, you didn't answer my question of whether this worked before (& now something's changed - if so, what?) or this is the first time trying this process...
Oh, sorry didn't see that response. I have done this successfully with German, Portuguese, Japanese, Polish, & Chinese.
Only French (France) and French (Canada) are giving me this problem.
So there must be something different or changed for those 2 languages vs. the others.
I believe French uses some accented characters. I think I'd open the file in Windows Notepad or equivalent and ensure that certain things aren't using any accented characters. My gut says that this is what's happening.
Thanks Jeff and Rick,
Turns out that in those two languages 1 out of the 7 child projects actually works. Strange. We're going to try retranslating those .hhc and .hhk files to see if that changes anything.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if there was some known issue that was causing this or some setting that needed to be changed.
I believe that what you will find is there are essentially two ways to translate that information.
1. Open an instance of RoboHelp and gain access to the file. Then translate it using RoboHelp.
2. Open the raw HHC file and translate it using Notepad or some other app.
Because things broke, my guess is that option 2 was used and some of the surrounding XML code was munged in the process.
Well, I took an English .hhc file and copied French into it line-by-line for about 350 lines. The resulting .hhc file worked.
Then I used Beyond Compare to compare the .hhc file I made to a non-working .hhc file. There was only one difference . . .
A single non-breaking space.
So it looks like my problem was caused by a single non-breaking space.