4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 2:55 PM by rob day

InDesignCC Color Theme Tool hard-coded for CMYK ?

Roger Breton Level 1

Add this theme to my current library.PNG

Is there an in interface anywhere within InDesign that change the default behavior of this tool?

Either [Add this theme to swatch] or [Add this theme to my current CC Library] result in an on the fly RGB to CMYK conversion!

The created swatches are invariably in CMYK.

I tried setting the Transparency Blend mode to RGB -- no change.

I tried setting the Color palette current color space to RGB -- no change.

I thoroughly searched Preferences -- nothing.

• 1. Re: InDesignCC Color Theme Tool hard-coded for CMYK ?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Double-click the Color Theme tool (another thing to try):

InDesign CC150.png

• 2. Re: InDesignCC Color Theme Tool hard-coded for CMYK ?
            Roger Breton Level 1

I still have to figure the meaning of "Convert as per document intent"...

The "Convert to RGB" and "Convert to CMYK" are intuitive enough.

• 3. Re: InDesignCC Color Theme Tool hard-coded for CMYK ?
              Roger Breton Level 1

OK, I now understand the notion of "Document Intent", it comes from the New Document dialog box, so when the user selects Intent = "Print" (selected by default) then the Document Intent is considered "CMYK" *and* the Color Theme Tool saves out its gathered colors in the CMYK space. Fine.

Not sure this is the best behavior, though?

To me, when I sample colors from a placed RGB image, I expect the corresponding swatches to match the color space of the sampled image, just the way the old Color Picker tool used to and still does. When the image is in the RGB space then I expect RGB swatches and when the sampled image is the CMYK space then give me CMYK swatches.

At any rate, the colors ought not to be color-managed the way they are now.

When I sample an RGB image I expect "native" RGB values from the image -- not color managed.

(I guess there are pros and cons, and this tool has been around for, what, two years now? It's not likely to change...)

• 4. Re: InDesignCC Color Theme Tool hard-coded for CMYK ?
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I sample an RGB image I expect "native" RGB values from the image -- not color managed.

The appearance of same RGB values in a document is always color managed—the Swatch and Color panels also respond to the document profile assignment, but the Color Theme panel apparently does not.

Even when a document doesn't have an RGB assignment the appearance of document RGB values falls back to the Color Settings' RGB Working Space.

Here's 200|100|100 RGB as a native color on the left, which I've sampled from placed image on the right.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 5.12.59 PM.png

If I change the image profile to ProPhoto RGB its values remain the same but its appearance changes because of the conflicting profile.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 5.14.59 PM.png

If I set the document assignment to ProPhoto the two objects (and the Color panel) again match.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 5.15.20 PM.png