5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2006 10:10 PM by Alex_Bernhard

Multiple Flex applications

Alex_Bernhard
      I have a project with about 20 Flex applications. When I include a single one of them as default application, everything works well. However, when restarting Flex builder, the framework includes all of them automatically and runs into a memory overflow error. The same happens, when I click the gree 'Run' button. Flex includes all of the applications, although I chose just a single one on the Project properties/Applications tab and hangs.
        • 1. Re: Multiple Flex applications
          Level 7
          Alex Bernhard wrote:
          > I have a project with about 20 Flex applications. When I include a single one
          > of them as default application, everything works well. However, when restarting
          > Flex builder, the framework includes all of them automatically and runs into a
          > memory overflow error. The same happens, when I click the gree 'Run' button.
          > Flex includes all of the applications, although I chose just a single one on
          > the Project properties/Applications tab and hangs.
          >
          • 2. Re: Multiple Flex applications
            Level 7
            I'm trying to investigate your reported problems. It would be very helpful if you could clarify a
            few things for me ...

1. When you say "the framework includes all of them automatically" what does this mean? Is there
            something you can see (in a window, panel, dialog) that makes you know that everything was 'included'.

2. How did you know that a memory overflow error occursed, is there a message that appears? Does the
            application go away?

3. Your message says "and hangs". I'm not sure what this means, are you saying that when you click
            the Run button, the application stops responding?

Mark Shepherd
            FlexBuilder Engineering

Alex Bernhard wrote:
            > I have a project with about 20 Flex applications. When I include a single one
            > of them as default application, everything works well. However, when restarting
            > Flex builder, the framework includes all of them automatically and runs into a
            > memory overflow error. The same happens, when I click the gree 'Run' button.
            > Flex includes all of the applications, although I chose just a single one on
            > the Project properties/Applications tab and hangs.
            >
            • 3. Re: Multiple Flex applications
              Alex_Bernhard Level 1
              Hi,
              #1 When you include an a mxml application to the list of applications via the Project / Properties panel, the application icon gets a green arrow in the navigator panel. I usually have a list of many mxml application with just one of them marked with a green arrow and listed in the Project/Properties/Flex Applications tab. Now it happened to me, that, after moving my project to my Laptop, all of the applications have been marked with that green arrow. This never happened with Beta 2.

#2 The memory overflow error was shed by the Java Runtime,/ Eclipse. I got the opportunity to close the workbench or to work further. There seems to be a maxumum possible mxml applications that can be handled at once.

#3 Eclipse doesn't respond to user inputs anymore and has to be killed with the task manager.

I will try if this only happens, when I move the project without closing it first or if it happens in every case.
              • 4. Re: Multiple Flex applications
                Level 7
                Thanks for this information.

#1 is automatic for all MXML applications in the root folder. You are correct, this did not happen
                in previous Beta releases.

Can you tell me, when #2 happens, do you have all the 20 files open for editing (either in the code
                editor or the design view)?

Mark Shepherd
                FlexBuilder Engineering

Alex Bernhard wrote:
                > Hi,
                > #1 When you include an a mxml application to the list of applications via the
                > Project / Properties panel, the application icon gets a green arrow in the
                > navigator panel. I usually have a list of many mxml application with just one
                > of them marked with a green arrow and listed in the Project/Properties/Flex
                > Applications tab. Now it happened to me, that, after moving my project to my
                > Laptop, all of the applications have been marked with that green arrow. This
                > never happened with Beta 2.
                >
                > #2 The memory overflow error was shed by the Java Runtime,/ Eclipse. I got the
                > opportunity to close the workbench or to work further. There seems to be a
                > maxumum possible mxml applications that can be handled at once.
                >
                > #3 Eclipse doesn't respond to user inputs anymore and has to be killed with
                > the task manager.
                >
                > I will try if this only happens, when I move the project without closing it
                > first or if it happens in every case.
                >
                • 5. Re: Multiple Flex applications
                  Alex_Bernhard Level 1
                  No, it happens also when there are just a few of them open. The process 'refreshing workspace' seems to produce this memory overflow.

Alex