Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What should I use After Effects For?

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a print and web graphic designer. I mainly specialize in layout and logo design. It has been a while since I created any motion graphics (Hello Flash) I am working on a campaign where I want an animated typography header apart of an email design as well as to place in a wordpress website.

So my question is before I start working away is if Adobe After Effects will display the motion graphic in an email? Is it as simple as copying and pasting the item into my email? Is there some coding behind it? The email will be sent through Constant Contact.

Will the same animation show on our wordpress website? Again, will it be as simple as copying and pasting the item into our wordpress page or will I need some additional coding?

Your help is very much appreciated. Not sure If I can use adobe edge for both purposes or if it is better for just the web design.

What is the difference between after effects and premier pro? If I want to grow my abilities and create more motion graphics for commercial or typographical purposes like this one, would I use adobe after effects?

Thank You,

Korey McNulty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

koreymcnulty70 wrote:

What is the difference between after effects and premier pro? If I want to grow my abilities and create more motion graphics for commercial or typographical purposes like this one, would I use adobe after effects?

Because you're a print and web designer, these examples might help.

With print, you know that you can use InDesign to bring together media from all over the place and integrate it into a final multiple page piece. It's a general application that's great at integratio

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but no.  AE has to create the media either by rendering in AE itself, or via Adobe Medial Encoder.  The animation then becomes a video file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want an animated typography header apart of an email design as well as to place in a wordpress website.if Adobe After Effects will display the motion graphic in an email?

you should consult with a web developer to see what options you have. Ae can export a video in common container formats like MOV, AVI, MP4 and from there you can convert to what you need. for example, if you have a way to embed a GIF or other streaming sequence media formats then Yes, you can create that with Ae and convert to that format.

If I want to grow my abilities and create more motion graphics for commercial or typographical purposes like this one, would I use adobe after effects?

Ae has a very powerful text and shape tools. most of what you see in terms of title sequences by famous studios like Prologue and Elastic is made with the use of After Effects as a main design and compositing tool. it's the industry leading software when it comes to motion graphics and main titles. no match really by any other software out there.

What is the difference between after effects and premier pro?

Premiere pro is for editing movies, After effects is for creating shots. After effect is for Compositing, motion graphics and visual effects. Premiere is very strong in working across time from beginning to end, cutting, trimming, refining the edits - one, two or three video tracks (layers) with a Gazillion cuts, whereas After effects is considered by many as photoshop with a timeline i.e LAYERS - many layers that create strong visual impact. usually in Ae you are very focused on creating a very short powerful shot lasting a few seconds, maybe a few minutes at most, whereas in premiere you are focused on telling the whole story that could be minutes and even hour or more.

here's an entertaining video that sums it up nicely: Adobe After Effects vs Adobe Premiere Pro - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it as simple as copying and pasting the item into my email?

No. Creating proper e-mail blasts has a ton of caveats and is limited to formats and e-mail client or browser can actually display. In case of animated content, that means either animated GIFs or some sort of embedded video in a suitable format.

Is there some coding behind it?

Yes, there is. As per the above - lots of things to consider and you are doing yourself no favors by treating this like you were creating a PDF in InDesign. Completely different workflows. I'd strongly urge you to educate yourself, even more so since a dynamic system like Wordpress requires different procedures to include your content than a plain HTML website. It's just painfully obvious that you are completely ignorant of these things and you will not be able to pull anything off without reading up on some fundamentals.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium,

Your right I do not have experience in this and my post clearly states that. If I was completely ignorant I wouldn't even ask the question on how much coding it will require. I am fully aware that there are other moving parts of this that I do not have much experience in which is why I am doing my homework and asking questions. Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

koreymcnulty70 wrote:

Because you're a print and web designer, these examples might help.

With print, you know that you can use InDesign to bring together media from all over the place and integrate it into a final multiple page piece. It's a general application that's great at integration. In contrast, Photoshop specializes in images, and you would never want to put together a 150-page magazine with Photoshop alone. But you could take 100 Photoshop images and 100 Illustrator drawings and include them in a magazine you make with InDesign.

With web, you know that Dreamweaver brings together media to make a web site. Again, Photoshop and Illustrator can contribute specialized graphics to Dreamweaver for assembly.

With video, Premiere Pro is the general integration program analogous to InDesign and Dreamweaver. You would use Premiere Pro to bring together video from different cameras, images from Photoshop, logos from Illustrator, and put together a short commercial or a 2-hour movie. Premiere Pro is built for very fast and efficient editing of video of any length, but its motion graphics and effects capabilities are limited. After Effects is like Photoshop; it specializes in layered, animated 2D and 3D motion graphics and special effects. You would never want to make a 2-hour movie with After Effects alone because editing clips together would be torture in that program. You'd use After Effects to create animations that you would drop into a longer Premiere Pro timeline, similar to how you would drop Photoshop images into an InDesign layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Korey,

Circling back and seeing if you found the answer here you were looking for. Let us know which answer worked best for you by marking it as correct.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines