• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blacking out top of video

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for not RTFM and failing to find the answer up to now.

I have shot a real estate video (4 hour round trip) but find that the framing on my device and the framing I wanted are different.

This means I either have to go back and reshoot, with is time and weather dependant, neither of which are in my favour, or simply add a black stripe across the top of the video.

Is there any way to do this?

What I would ideally like is the ability to set the size and position (obviously) but also change either the size or opacity over time. The need for blotting out the top of the video arises halfway through the video, so if I could either get the size of the black bar across the top to grow (downwards) from one point to another, or if I could get the opacity to increase (from 0 to 100%), that would be great.

So, in summary - the video needs to have a strip at the top of the movie made unseeable, halfway through the movie.

Any (quick) help would be gratefully received.

I have Elements 14

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of.

You can certainly mask out or crop out a side of your video and even animate the crop (or whatever effect you choose) -- but it would still appear within a standard 16:9 or 4:3 frame.

What model of camcorder or recording device was this video shot with? What is the video's resolution, as measured in pixels? (A phone, for instance, shoots 1920x1080 when held sideways and 1080x1920 when held upright.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was shot with a drone (Phantom 3 Pro). If you give a few minutes I'll fire it up and retrieve the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - it's 2.7k (2704x1520 24fps PAL format saved as .mp4) Image size 4:3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dianag54508673 wrote:

OK - it's 2.7k (2704x1520 24fps PAL format saved as .mp4) Image size 4:3

24 frames is never PAL but NTSC.

PAL is 25 or 50 fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, technically that's 16:9 -- but I'm really not sure what to do with that resolution. It's not HD (1920x1080) and it's not UHD (3840x2160).

But you should still be able to edit it in a 16:9 project. It just depends on whether you want to over-rez it to edit it in a UHD project or rez it down to edit it in a 1920x1080 project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, for anyone else's sake, I figured it out: in Expert, add the Crop special effect from the Special Fx bar, adjust the top, bottom, and sides as required and adjust the opacity to fade it in and out. Split the original video and start the effect at the point you want.

Thanks to Steve for your reply but I suspect you are at a higher level than I could quickly (or indeed slowly) get to in time. I found a simple approach, which suited my abilities!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution is a great solution, Diana. Happy moviemaking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines