• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading my PPro System... Advice needed, please

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... I've got a three year old PPro editing system (windows) that I'm thinking of upgrading.  Of course, using the latest versions of Adobe CC 2017

Currently using a intel 3770K (4-core) with 32GB RAM and an NVidia GTX960 with 4GB RAM.

I've been hired for more and more 4K stuff and now shoot everything in 4K with a Sony a7S-II at 100Mbps.   With all respect, I'm not looking for a discussion of buying an external recorder for Pro-Res or using Cineform or anything like that.  I need to take stuff directly out of the camera and edit it. 

In addition, I've purchased a Phantom 4 Pro that is able to use h.265 at 100Mbps and I want to use that, in-transcoded.

About 50% of the time, the 4K coming out of my a7S-II plays great, but I get a lot of stuttering, which is usually solved for a short amount of time by stopping playback, waiting for a few seconds and starting again.   But as we all know, that interrupts the creative flow and usually ticks off clients!

I am considering the following:

Intel i7-6950X (10 core) with either 32GB or 64GB RAM with an Nvidia 1080 with 8GB RAM.   I am not opposed to using AMD video cards with Open-CL, but I do a LOT of transcoding with apps that use CUDA and I don't want to buy a video card that only really works well with Premiere and nothing else.

I, honestly, haven't really been too unhappy with final encode times (either 4K->4K or 4K->1080p) -- what I'm really looking for is smooth playback of the timeline.  I understand, that short of scaling, Lumetri Color and GPU effects, the CPU is used mostly for decoding for timeline playback.  Correct?

Also.... looked at Adobe's "official" Video card list--- why do most of the ones they list all seem like they're older models?  Where's the newer graphic cards?

I'd really appreciate some advice on the proposed system.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?