I'm on Mac OS 10.5.6 (but saw this with earlier versions too)
using CS3 and/or CS4.
For work we publish back to Flash 5 player (don't ask) and
that is where I'm having the problem. If I put a dynamic text box
on the stage. Add some text. Embed the font. Change the publish
setting to 5. Publish I don't see the text. If the box is
selectable the player does show the I beam when I move over where
it should be, so it does know the text box is there.
I sent the same file to one of my coworkers and he can
publish it just fine.
We tried replacing the fonts on my machine with those from
his and that didn't solve the problem.
I've tried using both CS3 and CS4 and get the same results.
If I change the publish settings to Flash 6 everything works
like it should.