Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

beginner: discussion on my build for premiere pro

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Starting fresh on after effects and premiere pro. Want to know if it is a decent machine to start off. especially want to know if the cooler is sufficient? any extra cooling needed for GPU?

CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard EVGA Z170 FTW ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Storage OS Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Scratch disk Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card

Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor Dell ST2421L 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that case doesn't come with a side vent so you can mount a case fan that blows onto the GPU/CPU, get a different case

My computer i7-4930k July 2014 reply #6 for my hardware list in https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536849

-which included 4 Pack 120mm Fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-103-052

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to hardware for specialized help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for the cpu cooler take a look at the cryorig h5. if you get a larger case and want a quieter cpu cooler the cryorig R1 or noctua d14 and other notuca coolers.

for the psu, the evga g2 is being replaced by the g3. corsair rmx/i are also good, but not the old rm.

for the corsair spec-02 case, it can hold 3-5 intake fans to help keep things cool inside. including a bottom mounted fan to help feed the gpu with fresh air. any fans mounted horizontally will need to be quality fans, as basic fans are only designed to be mounted vertically and will wear out faster. that corsair case can only hold cpu coolers around 157mm tall, so big 140mm fan cpu coolers may not fit.

for the evga gtx 1070, there was some problems with the cooling design on the cards with the acx 3.0 cooler. it may have been resolved as it was handled by evga a little while ago. if you don't want to deal with that, then you may want to skip that card and look at another brand. the 1000 series are a fair amount cooler than last generation cards, so it should be ok. the better the air flow, the cooler the temps, the better the gpu can boost and stay at higher speeds.

for the storage/media drive, the samsung 500gb evo drive is somewhat faster and would allow much more space for editing projects. sk hynix sl308 are new drives but getting good reviews, and may be a more affordable option if on a budget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CoolerMaster 212 series coolers have served me well for the past several generations but I always put a second fan on for push-pull operation.

I agree with Ronin that for your second SSD you probably should have a larger device unless you have very small/short projects.  Do not use the disk drive for anything but backup and archiving.  If you have several projects at the same time you could even use the Samsung T3 USB 3.1 portable SSD for project files as I do with this laptop.

The motherboard has a M.2 PCIe 3 x4 connector for future use if you need higher performance storage with devices like the new Samsung 960 series of M.2 devices.

Since you only are considering the quad core CPU you probably do not need the GTX 1070, I believe you would be better off with a GTX 1060.  I own and have run extensive tests on my EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR which is lower power and much less expensive but does an absolutely great job of GPU acceleration.  You can very easily and safely overclock the Memory Clock on these GTX 1000 series and my GTX 1060 SC overclocked is better than my GTX 970 SC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone...  Also what size Ssd for boot? Planning to dual boot windows 7 and 10. And of course Adobe package (though not all) , cinema, and may be handful of software like videoscribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could get a 500gb for the os/apps/cache drive, and split it to 3 partitions. 1 - win7, 2 - win10, 3 - cache, something like 100gb+100gb+300gb should hopefully have enough space. if you needed to change the size of one of the partitions later, you would have to use a partition editor to resize the partitions. a full backup should be done before doing anything like that, just in case it destroys all the partitions and data on the drive. the second ssd at 500gb would be for projects/media. the third drive, the 2tb hdd, would be for backups, archived projects, and bulk storage such as user folders like downloads/pictures/video/music (this can be set for the windows user folder location or done separately without involving windows user paths). you could also do a setup without splitting the ssd into partitions, by installing one version of windows on each ssd. the space left over on each would still be designated for cache on one ssd, projects/media on the other ssd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curious - why we need projects/media on SSD?  keeping it in hdd , a huge speed loss?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the performance impact of the hdd vs ssd will depend on the bitrate of the media. the higher the bitrate, the more benefit to performance with the faster ssd's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...yes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines