Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR10 MaxCLL MaxFALL

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have just downloaded Premiere Pro CC 2017.01 because I read it has HDR10 metadata support.

But for 2 days Ijust couldn't find a way to export or discover the HDR10 metadata, or export the HEVC files or decode the MaxCLL and MaxFALL numbers.

Even the Adobe HDR workflow documents online doesn't cover HDR10 metadata or MaxCLL and MaxFall.

Can someone teach me how to analyse my clip to retrieve the MaxCLL and MaxFALL?

Thanks!

YW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for the contributions above. And yes, after much research here are my findings and answers to my own questions.

- Premiere Pro CC 2017 does not measure and report MaxCLL and MaxFALL contrary to their "support for HDR10 workflows". At least as of the date of posting. I can't find the answers in their documentation, and no one else seems to be able to.

- We can use 3rd party software to analyse clips and provide us with MAxCLL and MaxFALL.

- Paid Solutions are Colofront Transkoder, and an u

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is new and uncharted territory for PP.  You might be the one coming here to answer this question for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can almost guarantee adobe won't reply to this specific question. the reason being, there's a disconnect between the engineers and the p.r. guys. luckily, one guys did huge amounts of tests so we don't have to.

"Because if you bring in a ProRes, DPX, or other intermediate file into Premiere, there’s no way to flag it as HDR and it doesn’t recognize embedded metadata saying it’s HDR like DaVinci and YouTube do.  What happens is that you flag for HDR on export, Premiere runs a transform on the footage that scales it into the HDR range as if it’s SDR footage." Right now we have to use ffmpeg for encoding HDR metadata for youtube.

Blog — Mystery Box

some other stuff I found:

HDR Essentials - Getting Setup In Premire Pro

I did see you can input HDR's ST2084 via only jpeg2000 and h.264 and exporter now includes a 12-bit PQ option(ST2084) when you select the RGB 4:4:4 12-Bit PQ(ST2084).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I suppose whoever told me he used Premiere to get the maxCLL and MaxFALL was not telling the truth? I am curious how he did it. But he mentioned he did use SEIedit to add in the values into the metadata which I am curious why he didn't use Hybrid or FFMPEG to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for the contributions above. And yes, after much research here are my findings and answers to my own questions.

- Premiere Pro CC 2017 does not measure and report MaxCLL and MaxFALL contrary to their "support for HDR10 workflows". At least as of the date of posting. I can't find the answers in their documentation, and no one else seems to be able to.

- We can use 3rd party software to analyse clips and provide us with MAxCLL and MaxFALL.

- Paid Solutions are Colofront Transkoder, and an upcoming software from AVTOP (makers of SEIedit)

- If you are able to estimate your own MaxCLL and MAxFALL (contributed by chrisw4415788  HDR Video Part 5: Grading, Mastering, and Delivering HDR — Mystery Box) , you may use Hybrid or SEIedit to embed the metadata into your HDR clips.

- If you do not want to deal with MaxCLL and MAxFALL (required for HDR10), you can still create HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and PQ HDR clips with Google/Youtube's solution (Upload High Dynamic Range (HDR) videos - YouTube Help)​ There are workflow instructions to follow and then using the tools they provide to create HDR clips compliant with HLG and PQ.

So there are the answers to create your HDR10, HLG and PQ HDR clips as of posting (24th Dec 2016). There is another HDR format called Dolby Vision (just another set of metadata, but with trimmings down to frame by frame detail), which requires the use of a CMU (color mapping unit) from Dolby. Someday the functions for the CMU might be written into software, but as of now, it is not so straightforward.

If the instructions are too complex to do and you need help to create the clips, contact me (shameless sales plug disclaimer : I do run a post house Home - MochaChai Laboratories ) and we can help you do HDR for a fee. But really, the tools are quite simple to use. The tricky thing is where do you get your HDR monitors to properly grade your stuff. The BVM-X300 which we use, along with the LG OLED cost a crap ton of money. But the pictures on them do look very pretty Now go and create some HDR files and upload to Youtube and share it with the world!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines