1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2006 9:46 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flex 2.0 Licensing Question

devfactory
      I have read the EULA and am still confused about how the licensing will work for this product.

I am considering using Flex 2.0 to create SWF files that would become part of a piece of software that I would be developing and reselling to businesses.

Traditionally SWF files are incorporated into a web site that either a company has purchased a Flash license or has had a consultant who has purchased a Flash license create.

How will the licensing work for those of us who wish to use Flex 2.0 as a platform to create an application to then redistribute for Company X, Company Y, and Company Z to then use as either their website, or a subset of their website?

For clarity I would not be redistributing Flex 2.0, only the SWF created. What are my restrictions? Do any restrictions scale in the event that I sell hundreds of thousands of copies?
        • 1. Re: Flex 2.0 Licensing Question
          Level 7
          There are no restrictions on the SWFs you would recreate. You are free to
          incorporate them into a web site, software product, etc.

If you want to build a product that incorporates Flex Data Services, that
          would require an OEM agreement, as would including the SDK itself.

Phil Costa
          Group Product Manager, Flex

"devfactory" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e4i5ts$si$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have read the EULA and am still confused about how the licensing will
          >work
          > for this product.
          >
          > I am considering using Flex 2.0 to create SWF files that would become part
          > of
          > a piece of software that I would be developing and reselling to
          > businesses.
          >
          > Traditionally SWF files are incorporated into a web site that either a
          > company
          > has purchased a Flash license or has had a consultant who has purchased a
          > Flash
          > license create.
          >
          > How will the licensing work for those of us who wish to use Flex 2.0 as a
          > platform to create an application to then redistribute for Company X,
          > Company
          > Y, and Company Z to then use as either their website, or a subset of their
          > website?
          >
          > For clarity I would not be redistributing Flex 2.0, only the SWF created.
          > What are my restrictions.
          >