2 people found this helpful
- Copy your named catalog from the My Pictures folder on XP into the Pictures folder on the Laptop – it’s the file ending .lrcat The previews may be a large file so copying is optional.
- Copy your image files to the laptop or preferred location (some people keep all images on a connected external drive)
- Go to Pictures and double click on the catalog file you copied and that will launch Lightroom
- All the folders will have question marks so you simply re-connect and LR automatically updates the links.
- You do that by right-clicking on a folder name (or parent folder) and choosing find missing folder – then navigate to where the images are now stored and select the folder.
It is usually straightforward but let us know if you need more help. See if this link and video tutorial helps:
Thanks for your replies. That has explained in it in a straightforward way. I will be doing the upgrade shortly and will get back if there are any more questions. Thanks. Gary.