2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 10:08 AM by mdjunk

New to security - want readers to 'accept' terms and conditions

My experience with Adobe / PDF's is limited.  Read, do some light editing, build some rudimentary forms for internal use.

I distribute my company's financials to our clients annually.  Currently, I have them sign an NDA each year and mail a hard copy of the reports to them.  I'd like to find a way to streamline the process a bit.

I realize that there is no sure fire way to restrict access to this information.  If it is a hardcopy, they can scan and email it to unauthorized users.  If there is some sort of T&C in front of it, they can still send that file to someone else if they don't take agreements seriously.  So bottom line, I know I'm accepting risk with any method of distribution.

I would like to have the reader agree to some T&C / NDA terms before viewing the document.  I can't figure out a way to do that prior to the reader actually viewing the document. 

Is there a not-so-obvious menu option or function that I can play around with on this, or perhaps a reliable and cost-effective third party solution?

• 1. Re: New to security - want readers to 'accept' terms and conditions
          Joel_Geraci Adobe Community Professional

There are some tricks you can do if you want to limit your audience to using Adobe viewers (Acrobat/Reader). However, there is no way to create a consistent experience across the various desktop PDF viewers and embedded viewers in the more popular browsers. My best advice is to serve the PDF up via a script where the user accepts the terms in an HTML page before the PDF gets downloaded in the first place. In this case, you'd email your users a link to the script rather than the PDF itself.

If you want to go the Adobe-only route, my best advice is to use layers and an Acrobat JavaScript dialog. The terms will appear to cover the document making it unreadable until they agree to the terms, in which case, the layer becomes hidden. It's not bullet proof but it will keep honest people honest. In this case, you can mail the PDF.

• 2. Re: New to security - want readers to 'accept' terms and conditions
            mdjunk Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not proficient in JS so I think I'm going to stay away from that.