• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text won't show over background

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a green-green gradient box and then sent it to the back through the Object-Arrange menu prompt.  I washed-out part of that box with a no-stroke, no-fill ellipse to create a curved, sweeping white space over part of the gradient.  Then I tried creating text over the remaining gradient.  I have black text (black stroke & black fill) in the box, but it won't show over the green gradient.  If I select and drag the text box off my document, it shows just fine.  But it disappears behind the gradient, which is the back layer. I'm completely lost why I can't see my text.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

You've probably got a text wrap applied.

Object  > Text Frame Options, tick Ignore Text Wrap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screen shot, including the Layers panel.

Confirm the layer order and object order.

If they are both okay, look in the Effects panel to see if an Effect has been applied. If so, delete the Effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No effects, layer 1, text wrapping ignored...

I had typed an "e" in the text box showing in the upper left.  That gradient was pushed to the back, and the text box brought to the front, but my e doesn't show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everything you said, and yet—it shows overset text. Let's keep looking. Something is keeping it from showing.

1. Make the text frame bigger

2. Go to Edit > Edit in Story Editor

3. Click the Paragraph settings in the Control panel to look for spacing settings

4. Turn on Hidden Characters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I somehow hadn't gotten the text wrap ignored earlier.  Thought I did, but obviously my clicking order was off somehow.  I just re-tried and it worked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've probably got a text wrap applied.

Object  > Text Frame Options, tick Ignore Text Wrap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the idea; i tried but my text still won't show

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier today, I selected "ignore text wrap" and ok-ed the window to close it at your suggestion, but I still didn't see my text.  I re-did the process just now, and suddenly it worked.  My order of operations earlier was evidently off in some way. Problem solved & thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That's exactly what was going on - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines