17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 5:13 PM by Steve Grisetti

Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.

hoffmanml

I am having a problem with my stills in my project. They pixelate to the point of being blurry. I've tried using the organizer to, and it helped. But then I added several additional photo's and the problem came back. I've tried rendering, no help.

Any idea's for a solution? I'm using Premiere Elements 12.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
          whsprague Adobe Community Professional

Need to know the project settings, the video specifications, the photo specifications, how the photo was prepared for the video project, how the organizer is involved, output settings, etc. 

• 2. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

whsprague wrote:

the photo specifications

Especially the pixel size.

• 3. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
              hoffmanml Level 1

OK .. so to say I'm a novice would be giving a novice a put down. Anyway , I think this is what you my be looking for. this is for premier

Project setting

General Edit mode HD1080i

time base 29.97 f/s  = both are greyed out

video

f/s 1920 horizontal 1080 vertical

pixel aspect ratio sp pixel (1.0)  

fields  Upper field first              again pixel and fields are greyed out

display format 30fps drop frame time code

title safe area  20% horizontal  20%  vertical

Action safe area 10% horizontal 10% vertical

audio sample ratio 48000 Hz  greyed out

display sample auto samples

I'm not sure what you want to know about the organizer ?? sorry

Photo format is jpg print     resolution 300 pixels/inch

screen  resolution 72 pixels/inch

• 4. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                hoffmanml Level 1

jpgs

print resolution 300 pixels/inch

screen resolution 72 pixels/inch

• 5. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill, we really need to know what the measurements (height and width) of your photos are in pixels. 300 pixels per inch is the pixel density, not the measurement. Your photos should ideally be no larger than 2500 pixels wide by 1875 pixels tall.

Also, have you rendered your timeline before you played back your video? (To render it, press the Enter key on your keyboard.)

When you render your timeline, the yellow-orange line along the top of your timeline will turn green and you'll see a preview playback that will look much more like your final output.

• 6. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                    hoffmanml Level 1

OK. I understand now..

in pixels h 3666  w 2444

deminsion  h 12.22'   w 8.147'

resolution  300

Yes I do render. In fact I've started to render every time I look at my

project. Probably over kill.

I did have one copy that was perfect , except my daughter wanted to add a

couple of pictures of an aunt that was important to her. This is from her

wedding. I added the pictures, using organizer, and the whole project

degraded back to pixelation.

Thanks for all your help.. I'm having fun doing this. But I would like to

finish this one.

BTW I did create a fun one for my dad, and it came out OK.. quizzical !

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.

Have you considered my suggestion to rez down your photos to 2500x1875 (72 ppi)?

Adding 3666x2444 (9 gig photos) to a project accomplishes nothing but making the whole editing process less efficient. When the photos become video, they will be reduced to 1920x1080 anyway -- and the closer your original photos are to that resolution, the better your output will look.

• 8. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I will say this again DPI has no meaning to video

Elements does not care if the image has 72 or 300 dots per inch (this is only relevant to printing).

its all about the height and width in pixels

Please forget DPI while dealing with stills in a video project.

• 9. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.

Ann is right, of course. However, since you need to put SOME number in there, 72 ppi is as good as any. It's kind of the standard online pixel density setting -- even if ultimately only the actual measurement of height and width, in pixels, matters.

• 10. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.

NO NO, it does not matter if you put in 72 or 3000 for that matter.

Its all about PIXELS

• 11. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                              hoffmanml Level 1

OK.. I resized the a test shot to 2500 H and 1800 W..  and inserted it into

the project. That's the only settings I changed. It's worse.

I can play the project in premiere and it looks good. However, if I do full

screen or create a dvd it's pixelated.

May I state when I say pixelated, I mean you can see the rectangles in the

stills. Video is ok..

Is there a descent manual out there I get? Just for future projects and

learning in general.

• 12. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                                whsprague Adobe Community Professional

Help Page:  https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/topics.html

There is a link there to this help manual:  https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

For Version 12 there is a manual here:  http://help.adobe.com/archive/en/premiere-elements/12/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

For what it is worth, your "helpers" here routinely insert photos in video projects with good results.  None, including me, are figuring out what exactly is going wrong with your procedures or system. 

Your sentence, "I can play the project in premiere and it looks good. However, if I do full screen or create a dvd it's pixelated." is confusing.  DVD movies, by definition can't have good resolution.  I don't know what you mean by a "do full screen". 

Something simple is going wrong somewhere.  Can you go back to the steps of how you set up the project and the steps of putting in the photos?

• 13. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                                  hoffmanml Level 1

OK OK (my brother use to say that all the time). I agree something really

simple, but I'm just missing it. It's got to be something really really

simple.

Doing full screen means, in the upper right corner is the icon to use the

whole screen instead of the little preview screen on top of the time line.

I did create a great dvd that was clean. Then I added some more pictures

for my daughter.

Steps.

1. Created a new project

2. I copies the photo's I wanted into the organizer

3. From the organizer I chose the "Editor" icon from the tool bar at the

bottom of the screen then chose "Video Editor"

4. Went the project and selected the photos I was entering, selected the

video I was using.

5. Added the sound track and narrations I wanted to use.

6. Rendered the whole thing.

7. Created a the DVD and it all went great. Created a copy and sent it to

my dad.

8. My daughter wanted the photo's of one of her favorite aunt's.

9. I followed steps 2 - 7 and "no joy"

and so here I am trying to figure this out. The strange thing is in between

the numerous tries, I created a dvd for my dad it came out right the first

time. I even added some extra pictures.

With the project we are talking about now, I have one more question. For

some of the pictures have a yellow line through them. Rendering cleared the

yellow line on the time line but not this line. Any suggestions? Thoughts ?

• 14. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.

If your project is interlaced and you are adding stills

set the Field Options to always deinterlace for those stills.

See if that will work.

• 15. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                                      hoffmanml Level 1

Where would I find this field?

• 16. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.
                                        Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

hoffmanml wrote:

Where would I find this field?

Right click the still on the timeline.

• 17. Re: Problem with pixelation on jpg entries.

Please post a sample of what you're seeing on YouTube or Vimeo and link us to it so we can see what you're talking about.

You can also post a screen capture this forum. Either way, we need to see what you're talking about so we can ensure we're all comparing the same apples to the same apples.