2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2006 6:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

Flash programming logic

Casperankinen
      I've just started working with this new developer with this way of coding that leaves me constantly confused and I'm wondering if there are any guides as to how you should structure your code and design in Flash.

This project is a skin for a .NET application that installs onto the client's machine.

So he has some code for performing calculations and rendering their results is a graphical manner stored in external class files. Then it appears he has got tired of not having visual control of the output so he's then made up a string of different .fla/.swf's that all import with the MovieClipLoader into his project all on different levels. Now he comes from a C++ background so he's using UI components like cigarettes at the PhillipMorris AGM and wonders where all his memory is going (not to say that full screen scaling of bitmap backgrounds is also fine).

Now I come from the school of build everything so it lives on one frame. Build all MC's within the one file and then store them in the library until needed . Also stay away from components with a mighty long pole because they either eat memory, filesize or don't give you the control you need.

So it's rather clear that there are different ways of building files that goes far beyond the simple tips scattered through the documentation (even so at point's it shows completely different techniques in the sample code).

Thus are there any sites (or even books) that cover entire project layout and different ways at that.

Cheers!
        • 1. Re: Flash programming logic
          Level 7
          >>Now I come from the school of build everything so it lives on one frame.

There is no school.

One frame is fine for some things, for others it's just silly and
          restrictive and pointless. How the app is architected totally depends on the
          project and programmer. Components are great for some things... they suck if
          you're trying to go for a tiny file though. Some people will use patterns to
          design with, some not... some people use one letter variable names (shame on
          you), and some people use descriptive ones (thank you). Some put code in
          clips, some all on frame one... it all depends on both the programmer and
          the person. There is no right way...there's just better ways...

If you're looking for a good book on design with Flash I'd suggest Colin
          Moock's Essential ActionScript 2.

--
          Dave -
          Adobe Community Expert
          www.blurredistinction.com
          www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/

• 2. Re: Flash programming logic
            Level 7
            There is, of course, Adobe's view (or I think it was MM at the time of
            publication). Not very in-depth, but FWIW:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash8_bestpractices.html

Casperankinen wrote:

>
            > So it's rather clear that there are different ways of building files that goes
            > far beyond the simple tips scattered through the documentation (even so at
            > point's it shows completely different techniques in the sample code).
            >