5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2006 10:14 AM by ntsiii

Application organization under Flex Bulilder

ntsiii Level 3
      In 1.5 there was a single Flex root and user applications could be organized in any heierarchy we wanted under that, and run(compiled) using the proper url.

2.0 on the other hand seems to be strongly "project" based, with one project == one application.

What is the suggested strategy for organizing projects themselves? Is that the function of the workbench? So instead of having a folder structure to organize my apps, I will have a flat set of workbenches?

This is ok, I am just trying to make sure I understand the new paradigm.

Tracy
        • 1. Re: Application organization under Flex Bulilder
          Level 7
          Our docs have a section called �Understanding Flex Builder� projects
          which has a good description of how to use and think about projects in
          FlexBuilder. You can either search for it or you can find it in the Help
          Table of Contents under Adobe Flex 2.0 Help > Using Adobe Flex Builder
          2.0 and there is a link called �Working with Projects� that is a good
          place to get started.

Mark Shepherd
          FlexBuilder Engineering

ntsiii wrote:
          > In 1.5 there was a single Flex root and user applications could be organized in
          > any heierarchy we wanted under that, and run(compiled) using the proper url.
          >
          > 2.0 on the other hand seems to be strongly "project" based, with one project
          > == one application.
          >
          > What is the suggested strategy for organizing projects themselves? Is that
          > the function of the workbench? So instead of having a folder structure to
          > organize my apps, I will have a flat set of workbenches?
          >
          > This is ok, I am just trying to make sure I understand the new paradigm.
          >
          > Tracy
          >
          • 2. Re: Application organization under Flex Bulilder
            ntsiii Level 3
            That's what I was looking for, thanks.
            • 3. Re: Application organization under Flex Bulilder
              ntsiii Level 3
              Well I got close. I found:
              "If you'd rather set multiple files as application files, so that each application file is built into a separate SWF file, see "Defining multiple applications in a single project" on page 63."

This is what I want to do, but of course I cannot find that topic or page anywhere.

Any ideas?
              • 4. Re: Application organization under Flex Bulilder
                Level 7
                Oops, the document is out of date. I reported this to our publications people, it will be fixed in
                the final release.

The topic "Defining multiple applications in a single project" was removed because Flex Builder now
                automatically makes all project MXML files runnable. In other words, if you have several MXML files
                in the source folder of the project (which is usually the same as the root folder), then FlexBuilder
                will automatically create SWFs for all of them when you build. You can look at the topics "Managing
                project application files" and "Setting project application file properties" for more information.

Let me know if this solves your issue.

Mark Shepherd
                FlexBuilder Engineering

ntsiii wrote:
                > Well I got close. I found:
                > "If you'd rather set multiple files as application files, so that each
                > application file is built into a separate SWF file, see "Defining multiple
                > applications in a single project" on page 63."
                >
                > This is what I want to do, but of course I cannot find that topic or page
                > anywhere.
                >
                > Any ideas?
                >
                • 5. Re: Application organization under Flex Bulilder
                  ntsiii Level 3
                  Yes, that is clear, and simpler than it sounded.
                  Thanks,
                  Tracy