• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Levels higher on DVD

Participant ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always have the same issue when building my dvds with Encore. On the computer project it sounds perfect but once it's burned into a DVD, it sounds way too loud on my TV. It appears that Encore raises the audio level a lot when exporting. Anyone else have the same issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a common complaint. Check the audio meters in Premiere Pro before exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In premiere I normally have the audio max at -3DB or -6DB. But in my tv, the dvd sounds a ot lauder than any other movie on dvd and the audio even distorts when it gets too loud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Stan says, not a common complaint. Assuming you had exported from Premiere as MPEG-2 DVD, you will already have a .wav audio file. Take that into Adobe Audition, or even a Premiere timeline, and lower the volume. Export a new 48K stereo .wav file.

In Encore, replace the .wav with the new version with lower volume. Should take no more than a couple of minutes to do this.

EDIT: In Premiere, I never let the loudest sounds get past -6dB, the -3dB is pushing things. The average level might be more like -9 or -12

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Dolby AC3 files it may be the dianorm metadata that is altering the playback levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Louder is really rare - it is normally the other way around if anything.

What are your audio files at source? It cannot be dialnorm settings as these are defaulted to -31 which is equivalent to "no attenuation" - Dialnorm will only turn your audio down & never up.

Do you have a normalization set up on the TV?

What happens if you check the disc ion a different setup - is it still too loud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes -31 is no attenuation, but if you are comparing it with features, often -27 or broadcast usually -23ish it will sound louder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard M Knight wrote:

Yes -31 is no attenuation, but if you are comparing it with features, often -27 or broadcast usually -23ish it will sound louder

KInda depends on the mix of the feature really.

Dialnorm should always be left at -31 unless you know exactly what you are doing - this is not aimed at you Richard - and in a stereo mix this applies doubly so as there is no dialogue channel to use as a baseline. -27 is 4dB of attenuation but against what in stereo?

If a stereo mix is too loud it should be fixed in post production, not Dolby Digital encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say bring back line-up tone, you know where you are with a bit of 1KHz  (or 400 Hz warble if you are using Dolby)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and I'm not even using Encore. Exported what should be decent levels out of Premier using the MPEG-2 DVD setting. Burned DVD via Toast Titanium and levels are loud and almost clipping. A real bummer as the video export turned out really nice considering I sourced from an HD project and needed to burn SD DVDs. Hadn't thought of editing the resulting wav file. Might try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this 5.1 sound or stereo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

in my case, stereo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines