27 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2016 5:59 PM by rob day

organizing pages

gtsolid

hello

in my project i have this page arrangement: Cattura.PNG

they are 2 A4 sheet and i would to blend togheter, in order to print on a A3.

furthermore i would to create another A3 sheet to go on with my work. how can i do?

• 1. Re: organizing pages
          vladan saveljic Level 4

file > document setup > page size and then choose A3 and orientation vertical or horizontal

• 2. Re: organizing pages
            cinziamarotta Adobe Community Professional

If you don't want to change document dimension you can choose: LAYOUT menu > Numbering & Section Options > Start Page Numbering At 2. Then you can print the document as facing pages.

Schermata 2016-12-28 alle 08.44.42.png

• 3. Re: organizing pages
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign will allow to print more than one page at one time on one sheet, if all the intended pages are in one spread. This is what cinziamarotta is showing. Wheras the numbering and arrangement of pages could be changed when using sections.

Example with a 4 pages document and two spreads where page 4 is next to page 1.

Startpage number of document and section one is 4. Section one contains 1 page.

Startpage number of section two is 1. Section two contains 3 pages.

OrganizingPages-FacingPages-4-Pages.png

If you'll need a print of the first spread, go to the print dialog and define the pages on the first spread in the order of appearance—in my example: 4,1—and define spread for printing on A3 landscape.

If you want to export to PDF in the numbered order of pages not using spreads, just use: 1,2,3,4 or 1-3,4 in the export dialog where you define the range of exported pages. Do not use "All". That would result in the order 4,1,2,3.

Creating sections is easy:

Right-click a page in the Pages Panel and choose:

Numbering & Sections Options

from the context menu.

Regards,
              Uwe

• 4. Re: organizing pages

If you intend to leave the page order as is, export the document to PDF/X-4, add a new document with non-facing pages where you set the page size to A3 landscape and place the two exported pages next to each other and print from there. ( Or place the InDesign document instead of the PDF. )

gtsolid wrote:

… furthermore i would to create another A3 sheet to go on with my work. how can i do?

What do you mean by that?

Do you want to mix A4 and A3 pages in one print job?
                I assume that 2 A3 pages (=1 A3 sheet) are folded to A4?

And how about the problem that you'll need a smaller page width because of folding and cutting?

Regards,
                Uwe

• 5. Re: organizing pages
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

premio_oscar schrieb:

file > document setup > page size and then choose A3 and orientation vertical or horizontal

No, never do that. That is a terrible advice.

If the final product is A4, pages have to be A4. It is possible to put together 2 or more pages to a single spread.

Either start with an even page number in the document or keep pages together/don't shuffle them in the page panel's menu.

• 6. Re: organizing pages
                    vladan saveljic Level 4

your answer is very confusing ;-)

sure, if the final product is A4 then pages should be A4.

If the final job is A3?

...how can you be sure that the final gtsolid's product is A4?
                    in that purpose we are waiting more info from gtsolid

• 7. Re: organizing pages
                      gtsolid Level 1

the final product is an A3, which must be bend at half (so 2 A4 paired). A good thing would be a virtual line in the half in order to a better disposition

• 8. Re: organizing pages

So you like to print the same contents on both sides of the A3 sheet—one print, turn the sheet, print again—and finally cut into halves?

Something like that?

print [ 2 | 1 ]

=> turn sheet |

print [ 2 | 1 ]

Or do you have something like that in mind with brochures a and b where both brochures consist of two pages:

print [ a1 | b1 ]

=> turn sheet |

print [ b2 | a2 ]

Or is it my 4 pages setup where two spreads contain:

print spread 1 with [ 4 | 1 ]

=> turn sheet |

print spread 2 with [ 2 | 3 ]

For that constellation I already gave the answer…

Regards,
                        Uwe

• 9. Re: organizing pages

If the final product is an A3 format, you should have a document A3 and arranging the pages in this way:

first sheet = pages 1-4

second sheet = pages 2-3

Set the document on A3 dimension with 2 columns so you can see the division for the fold

Schermata 2016-12-29 alle 09.52.45.png

Schermata 2016-12-29 alle 09.52.02.png

Print the document on an A3 sheet on both sides

• 10. Re: organizing pages

I don't think, that's the right way.

Pagination, automatic page numbering, will be wrong.
                            Paragraph formatting like "Away from Spine" will not work.

Regards,
                            Uwe

• 11. Re: organizing pages

No, in this way you can't use automatic page numbering but you have to layout the pages with imposition:

4-1

2-3

If you have more than 4 pages with automatic page numbering, your document size have to be A4 format and export in PDF/X-1 o PDF/X-4, deactivate spreads.

• 12. Re: organizing pages
                                gtsolid Level 1

i would to print exactly as you can see in this image: Cattura.PNG

if now i print, also imposing A3, i obtain only 2 A4, printed with the page on the left of each A3 and with a white background, not light blue as imposed as "paper" color

• 13. Re: organizing pages

cinziamarotta wrote:

No, in this way you can't use automatic page numbering but you have to layout the pages with imposition:

4-1

2-3

If you have more than 4 pages with automatic page numbering, your document size have to be A4 format and export in PDF/X-1 o PDF/X-4, deactivate spreads.

As I have shown in answer 3 you can have it both ways.
                                  Four A4 pages in a facing-pages document with two sections:

Spread 1: [ 4 | 1 ]

Spread 2: [ 2 | 3 ]

Printing spreads will be fine to A3 landscape:

Print spread 1 with page order: 4,1

Print spread 2 with page order: 2-3

Exporting for offset printing with 4 reordered pages will be fine as well:

1-3,4

Regards,
                                  Uwe

• 14. Re: organizing pages

"Paper color" in InDesign is just a simulation, it is indicative. It is assumed that you are using a sheet of that color for printing.

If you want to print 2 A4 on a A3 sheet you have to create an A3 document with a guide in the middle and use the two half as two A4 pages. Watch out from the page position: 4-1 / 2-3. So, after the fold, you can see the correct page sequence.

• 15. Re: organizing pages
                                      gtsolid Level 1

how can i impose a coloured background?

for printing: i try to impose this way of printing Cattura.PNG

in output i receive only an A4 printed in the wrong direction. i imposed A3 tray also on the printer settings using "imposta" in the low part

• 16. Re: organizing pages

If you want a colored background you have to draw a colored rectangle on your page.

The printing settings are right.

Le impostazioni di stampa sono corrette se il tuo documento ha una dimensione A3 con orientamento orizzontale. Controlla di aver impostato il documento in formato A3 orizzontale.

• 17. Re: organizing pages
                                          gtsolid Level 1

yes i did: Cattura.PNG

the strange thing is that if i print using "adobe PDF" printer and then using my physical printer, i reach to print on A3

• 18. Re: organizing pages

You should NEVER use print to PDF from InDesign. Only Export to PDF makes reliable PDFs.

• 19. Re: organizing pages

No, if the final format is A4 you have to have an A4 document. You can start with page 4, make on the second page a new section, start here with 1 and export as spreads. This would make a correct document.

• 20. Re: organizing pages
                                                gtsolid Level 1

the final format is A3, but the printer prints A4 even if i set A3 in settings.

if i print to PDF and then to Printer, i reach A3

• 21. Re: organizing pages

cinziamarotta wrote:

If the final product is an A3 format, you should have a document A3 and arranging the pages in this way:

first sheet = pages 1-4

Schermata 2016-12-29 alle 09.52.02.png

Print the document on an A3 sheet on both sides

Sorry, I wholeheartedly have to disagree. This is definitely the wrong order of contents.

Take a sheet of paper, fold it and write the number of the pages in the order you want to read the pages on the sheet.

Unfold it, read the order, turn it, read the order.

1,4 is wrong. It should be 4,1.

And as Willi and I already pointed out, do 4 A4 pages in order:
                                                  Spread 1: [ page 4 (section 1) , page 1 (section 2) ]

Spread 2: [ page 2 (still section 2) , page 3 (still section 2) ]

That's the most flexible approach and will fit all possible needs.

Regards,
                                                  Uwe

• 22. Re: organizing pages

You should not print any PDF, you have to export it.

• 23. Re: organizing pages
                                                      gtsolid Level 1

but if i want directly print on my printer without passing for PDF?

• 24. Re: organizing pages

I would not recommend so as the printing capabilities of InDesign are less than poor.

• 25. Re: organizing pages
                                                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Printing problems with InDesign are almost always driver related—I have two third party RIPs that print perfectly from InDesign.

If the driver doesn't get in the way Print Booklet's 2-up Consecutive Booklet Type setting would print pages 1&2 as a spread. Like this where I've made a print preset under Print Settings that will contain a spread:

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 10.46.31 AM.png

Here's the Preview for the 2-Up Consecutive setup:

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 10.46.44 AM.png

• 26. Re: organizing pages

Yes, sorry. The correct disposition is 4-1 on the first sheet.

• 27. Re: organizing pages
                                                              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, sorry. The correct disposition is 4-1 on the first sheet.

Then the Booklet Type would be 2-up Saddle Stitch or a standard 4 page imposition. Both InDesign and AcrobatPro have booklet features for simple impositions:

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 8.54.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 8.58.32 PM.png