2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2008 9:05 PM by Dominic Michael

WebDAV: I can connect, but not check files out

Hans_Friedrich
      Hello,

I have a WebDAV server running on Apache 2 and setup for a site in Contribute CS4. I can use this server with other WebDAV clients, including my OS X ftp program (Transmit) which has WebDAV support built in, as well as the OS X native WebDAV support through Connect to Server. Editing and creating files works great in other clients.

However, in Contribute CS4 although Connection Test works fine, and I can connect to the WebDAV site and retrieve a file list. When I try to edit a file, though, Contribute shows the "Creating a draft of this page..." dialog, and sits on "Waiting for server..." for about a minute before failing. Trying to administer the site also fails.

Checking my apache access log, I see:

76.105.243.63 - hans [18/Dec/2008:23:03:35 -0700] "PROPFIND /webdav/index.html HTTP/1.1" 207 269 "-" "Contribute/3.0"
      76.105.243.63 - hans [18/Dec/2008:23:03:35 -0700] "PROPFIND /webdav/index.html/ HTTP/1.1" 400 226 "-" "Contribute/3.0"

The error log shows:

[Thu Dec 18 23:03:35 2008] [error] [client 76.105.243.63] Could not fetch resource information. [400, #0]
      [Thu Dec 18 23:03:35 2008] [error] [client 76.105.243.63] (2)No such file or directory: The URL contains extraneous path components. The resource could not be identified. [400, #0]

Anyone have any ideas why it is trying to do a PROPFIND on /webdav/index.html/ ? Any other tips for getting WebDAV working with Contribute CS4?
        • 1. Re: WebDAV: I can connect, but not check files out
          Hans_Friedrich Level 1
          Interestingly, the errors above seem to be a little bit of a red herring. If I turn off "enable file check in and check out" in Dreamweaver then files can be downloaded, edited and uploaded perfectly. I can also create new files. As soon as I turn checkouts back on, it stops working. The errors above show up in the Apache server log even when this box is unchecked and yet everything works correctly. Because Contribute offers no option for editing without writing extra info files to the server it still won't work.

The Dreamweaver log shows the following when I attempt to check out a file:

Started: 12/19/08 6:25 PM

Operation timed out. Cancelling...
          Operation timed out. Cancelling...
          /webdav/robots.txt - error occurred - An HTTP error occurred - cannot get robots.txt. Dreamweaver could not connect because the server is down or not accepting connections.

File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.

Files with errors: 1
          /webdav/robots.txt

Finished: 12/19/08 6:27 PM

As I mentioned, when I turn off checkouts this whole process works correctly, and I can edit and create new files.
          • 2. Re: WebDAV: I can connect, but not check files out
            Dominic Michael Adobe Employee
            Hi,
            Seems like you have some permission problem in the server side, which is not allowing any application to create a .LCK file, whether it is Dreamweaver or Contribute.
            Thanks.