• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background File Activity Window

Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason yesterday I started getting the background file activity pop up and it's annoying popping up even when I'm not working on a file but browsing the web. Not sure why it suddenly decided to annoy me but is there a way to disable the popup?
Alan

DW 2017 Mac OS 10.10.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

The additional files you are seeing, are from the file recovery feature.

I thought these where automatically deleted when Dw was closed -

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your files located on a local or a remote server?

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

All of my files are on my local hard drive. However all of them have been uploaded to a server (not mine) but DW is not linked to that site.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off all unnecessary processes.

Pause File Syncing in your Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File sync to the Cloud was turned off

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see a screenshot of the background activity window you're seeing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange thing is, those pop up windows have stopped. All I get now, and only when I return to the DW app is a message that says background activity complete - see screenshot. No idea why those early pop ups disappeared as I haven't change anything.

Alan

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 9.08.37 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what you say, it looks like your issue has been resolved. Let us know if that is not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I thought it had but now it's back. I got this popup window in Safari and when I click to close it, it takes me to the DW app.

Alan

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 4.05.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like much is going on.  What do your FTP logs say when it happens?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy

FTP - File Transfer Protocol? That involves linking to the web. I don't have any website linked to my HTML docs except URL links. And where would I find the FTP logs?
Thanks

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window > Results > FTP Log.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy

FTP log is empty because I didn't hit SAVE I'll do it next time and see what the log says

Thanks

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Log says:

Started: 1/19/17 10:05 AM

File activity complete.

Finished: 1/19/17 10:05 AM

I found out what the background file activity is. It gives me a message saying it's accessing the folder DOCS. I clicked on the file tree icon on the top RHS of the DW page and I see that DW had saved a ton of my HTML files with the title XXXXX.v004.html. Seems as though DW for some reason is saving versions of my html files and I have no idea why it's doing that. Is there a way to turn that off as it's accessing that folder ever five minutes it seems? I certainly didn't ask it to and don't need it as I have TimeMachine to retrieve an old file if needed.
Thanks
Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The additional files you are seeing, are from the file recovery feature.

I thought these where automatically deleted when Dw was closed -

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that is what it is but it's storing copies like rabbits breed. I did a search to turn it off but there is no way. Very annoying indeed.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English100 wrote:

It appears that is what it is but it's storing copies like rabbits breed. I did a search to turn it off but there is no way. Very annoying indeed.

Alan

Can you file a bug for this, as Dw should delete old file recovery files on close -

https://dreamweaver.uservoice.com/forums/382851-adobe-dreamweaver-bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can do that, but the issue I have is that the window sometimes opens when I'm in another program and when I click on the CLOSE icon it takes me back to DW. It's very annoying and they shouldn't let it appear unless I'm in DW.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the uploading files as a reason to take a coffee break, but yes, I agree that should also not happen.

All I can suggest is that you file a feature request for the behaviour to be changed. Before you say it, I know that asking users to do that is becoming the 'standard' reply, but as far as I know there is no other way to let the dev team know what users want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I filed a bug report but have not heard back. It's really annoying as it saves the files, but I can't do any work while it's doing that. It only takes 5 or 6 seconds, but keeps doing it every so ofter. Adobe should have given us the option to turn that feature off.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English100  wrote

Okay I filed a bug report but have not heard back.

You are experiencing the thing I find most annoying with Adobe -

"The complete lack of feedback from most of them".

The Adobe staff that monitor these forums, and the rare one or two others in the pre-release, are exceptions, and do try to provide us with feedback, when they can, but in general no one says anything about product complaints, bugs or even ideas.

I hear people complaining about Microsoft, but over the last year, they have contacted me a number of times to discuss ideas, and complaints about Visual Studio and Edge features. So far it is Microsoft 6, Adobe 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems as if 1700.02 update has fixed the issue with all the backup versions of files being retained instead of being dumped when am HTML document was closes. All the files in the tree at the top right have gone. I also haven't noticed the popup windows saying "Background File Activity Finished.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines