8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2016 4:38 AM by Syhwyn

I need help with channels please

Syhwyn

Hi

I need help with channels,

Customer sent me psd file, and i need to expent bleed.

You can see in screenshot, i need to expand background, and i never worked with channels before.I have no idea how to do it, i have been trying whole day but i couldnt do it. Anyone can help me about it please?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet http://imgur.com/a/91WTJ

• 1. Re: I need help with channels please
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I am not sure if I fully understand your question.  Adding Canvas size with white as the chosen colour, would give you bleed space without adversely affecting the channels.  Is there more to it than that?

• 2. Re: I need help with channels please
            Syhwyn Level 1

Thanks but that won't work, it's box design we will cut it from the line. Adding canvas size will change the size of the box.

I need white area black, but i can't make a change in channels,

• 3. Re: I need help with channels please
              Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

Is the red line the cut line? If so, there's already some bleed. If you filled the white with black, since it's a CMYK file, it seems you'd just be wasting ink.

• 4. Re: I need help with channels please
                Syhwyn Level 1

Yes, red line is the cut line, there is 3 mm but they want 5mm,
                It's not cmyk, have to be only black, i'll add some black separation to the white area, i won't be wasting ink.
                So, problem is, i can't add layer and paint it black, since there is this design on black channel
                Thank for advise anyway, i would like to hear if you have another idea.

• 5. Re: I need help with channels please
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

The safest way to uniformly add outline is with Stroke.

Quick & Dirty: Select the white, invert the selection and fill a new layer with any colour.

Set that layers Fill to zero, and add a black stroke with layer styles.

You'd still need to add a bit of canvas on the left.

Use a clipping path if you need to be more accurate.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: I need help with channels please
                    Syhwyn Level 1

Thank you so much, this will work i guess.

I run out of time, i had to send it to print. Embedded it into illustrator and made some changes in there. Took some time and wasn't good enough but did it anyway, thank you so much

I'm still gonna try this. Soon or later it will be problem again for me

• 7. Re: I need help with channels please
                      davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

Trevor's method works but puts the stroke on every channel which would be the normal way to do this.

However, you indicated earlier that you wanted this black bleed on the black channel only . If that is the case - try this :

1. Select the content as described by Trevor - I have shown a simple grey box for this example

2. Convert the selection to a path by clicking on the symbol in the paths panel

3. Add a new layer above the content layer and fill it with white

4. With the new white layer selected in the layers panel go to the channels panel and select the black channel only

5. Stroke the path with a brush set to black and width as required (this needs to be twice the width of your required bleed)

6. Set the blending options of the bleed layer to Blend if underlying layer is white (move the bottom left slider all the way to the right) - this allows the underlying layer to show through - effectively ensuring the additional stroke only covers the previous white portion. That is why the stroke had to be twice the width of the bleed

Turn the other channels back on

Result - the bleed is only on the black channel

Dave

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: I need help with channels please
                        Syhwyn Level 1

Thank you so much Dave, this is really helpful

I have been working at print office for 5 years and first time i'm facing this kind of problem, never worked with channels before.

Original file came to me like this

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Still having problem with this file, i fixed the bleed problem with illustrator somehow, now i'm having problem with color.

Print master saying some there is too much black on print. I have to lover black at some points.

I feel ignorant, this job is killing me

Thanks for help anyway