Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toggle To Instance Of Text Style

Engaged ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 2017 Windows 10 64 bit.

Is there a way to jump from instance to instance of a text style? I sometimes need to modify elements near where I've applied a particular paragraph style. I want to make my changes and then jump to the next occurrence of the same style. Right now I'm using the Pages panel as a visual reference, but it's not ideal. I thought there was a fly-out menu option in the previous versions, but I can't recall.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Use the find/change dialog. Find the style and when you’re done, the next.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the find/change dialog. Find the style and when you’re done, the next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi soundman,

for a visually aid Marc Autret's Stylighter 1.4 script can be of use:

Indiscripts :: StyLighter 1.4 for InDesign CS4/CS5/CS6/CC

You can apply non-printing colors for used character styles and/or used paragraph styles.

After defining the colors hit ok and the colors will be visible.

See here an example where I used Stylighter 1.4 to mark three applied character styles with different colors.

The used character styles apply different language attributes and a "no-break". All three cannot be detected visually in the layout:

1-StyLighter-in-use-with-character-styles.png

After hitting OK the script will turn off Overprint Preview and the colored styles are revealed:

2-StyLighter-in-use-with-character-styles.png

Note:

Stylighter cannot mark character styles that come with paragraph styles that are using character styles for GREP Styles. That's no fault of the script itself, but of the underlying technology that is available "under the hood" with InDesign CS4 and above—an unfinished feature of InDesign that did not make it to the UI yet.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both for their recommendations. I would like to try out the Style Lighter, so thanks for sending the link and explanation.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Soundman,

also note, that if you are using StyLighter you cannot turn off InDesign's feature Styles Override Highlighter.

The two features are coupled internally. One part—Styles Override Highlighter—made it to the UI using blue colors in contrast to the older implementation, the other part—highlighting character and paragraph styles—still is under the hood:

Overprint Preview ON / Styles Override Highlighter is ON because I already used StyLighter 1.4:

1-StyLighter-1.4-with-InDesign-CC-2017-OverprintPreview-ON.png

Overprint Preview OFF. Now also overrides are visible. Not only the highlighting of the used character style:

2-StyLighter-1.4-with-InDesign-CC-2017.png

So, if you are using a lot of character styles you want to highlight and have a lot of overrides as well, the picture can get very confusing.

The number of colors one could use to highlight anything is also limited. But again, that's no fault of the script, but the fault of the underlying feature that was never finished…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines