• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom unable to backup catalog: check permissions.

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently Lightroom has been unable to back up my catalog. Exact message: "Please check your folder permissions, and make sure that you have available space on  your backup drive and main catalog's drive."

Now I realize that there are many similar questions on the forum; however, I was unable to find an answer that worked for me.

My laptop runs on Window's 10, and I have Lightroom CC (2015). This began to happen after I believe to be the last update, as well as after I went on to delete old backups. It is not the first time I have deleted old catalog backups, so I cannot see how this would be an issue; nonetheless, I'm not an expert...

I have tried checking the permissions of my folder and it seems to be stuck on read only. I can't change it, I've tried modifying the folder's as well as the folder the backup folder sits in's permissions to "everyone,"  but it did not seem to help. I am not really familiar with this sort of stuff and basically followed tutorials I saw online, so basically, maybe I did something wrong, I don't know.

I have also tried backing up my catalog to a complete different location and it did not work. I had the same problems.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to give write access to 'Everyone'. Simply add write access or even better 'Full' access for the account (your account) you are usually logged in with.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to selecting my user and checking off allow full control? If so, I have tried that as well without any luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the location you are trying to write the backup to?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F. McLion wrote:

What is the location you are trying to write the backup to?

Better yet, the OP needs to show us a screen capture of the backup dialog box so we can see for ourselves exactly which folder he is trying to put the backups in, and then a screen capture of the permissions on this exact folder. Sometimes these things boil down to someone is mistaken about which folder is being used, and so the permissions on a different folder have been checked and deemed okay, which of course doesn't solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom message.PNGBackups Properties 1.PNGBackups Properties 2.PNG

Hopefully this is what you are asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We want you to show us the screen capture of the Lightroom dialog box that asks you if you want to make a backup and also asks you where the backup should go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that, I thought the location would be clear in the previous images: C:\Users\OcƩane\Pictures\Lightroom

Also, here is the screenshot I believe you were wanting:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Now check the other "users" shown in the permissions to make sure they all show Write permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it, unfortunately  it did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Windows folder properties dialog (for Backups folder) still show "Read only" as in the screen-clip above?

ScreenShot036.jpg

Have you tried removing the check mark in this option?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can't seem to be able to remove the mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot be sure that this [Read Only] attribute is causing your problem, but you will need better advice than I can give.

Keep researching-

From Google search-

Cannot change READ ONLY file attributes using Administrator Account - Microsoft Community

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old link but my LR has just hit this error.
I have 9 previous back ups in that location, last backup was 18/06/18.
Nothing has changed since then (I believe).

Was this solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is not the "Read Only" flag. It is the permissions. Show us a screen capture of the permissions on the folder shown.

Also, it is a TERRIBLE idea to make backups onto the same disk (in this case C:) where your working catalog is located. Why? Because if that disk crashes, now you have ZERO backups, and I'm guessing you won't be happy with that situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines